MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #2881
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masiewiz View Post
That is what I did. I lit 10 coals in my chimney and dumped it in my basket, with one valve open. Do you think it is my top venting?
Shouldn't matter if the top leaks or not. Combustion air needs to come in from the bottom – my exhaust is wide open and has never had a valve. I can completely smother the fire by closing the intake valves below...
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #2882
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

I dont know if THIS is the place to post this request... BUT is there any the Moderators or SOMEONE can make the page bar wrap around... it is getting tedious to have to scroll ALL THE WAY OUT to go a page back... anyone else finding that a problem?

Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #2883
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hell I have to flip my computer like you do a book.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #2884
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwolf View Post
I dont know if THIS is the place to post this request... BUT is there any the Moderators or SOMEONE can make the page bar wrap around... it is getting tedious to have to scroll ALL THE WAY OUT to go a page back... anyone else finding that a problem?
I posted a similar request this week in the tech section and have not heard a thing... This thread has gotten pretty unwieldy.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #2885
bbqdude
Got rid of the matchlight.

Smile New UDS & I need seasoning tips..

Hello, I read most all of this long thread and now have a nice new UDS. I didnt see much on break in or first use. How do I season it? What kind of oil should I use or should I use PAM?? How long do I let it burn in with no food in it. I have a new unlined drum.
Thanks for any tips!
bbqdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #2886
Thawley
Take a breath!

I used PAM and just ran a full basket of brick through it with the vents wide open. That's hotter than you'll ever get it with food. After it was cool (next day) I did my first cook and haven't touched it since.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #2887
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

ok, so yesterday i drove about 4293.874 miles to go get drums that were already incinerated and sand blasted. well, ok, only 110 miles each way. and i did get to meet smokin' d (aka - richard) who has the coolest mini off-set. i did not know i needed one until i saw that little piece of art. friggin' awesome!

ok, back on track, so i get the already prepped drums, drive 9 million miles home and immediately paint the exteriors.

today, i needed to be productive in the yard because, well, it is trying to grow. i found this stuff called round up that will make my yard work much easier this summer. you guys should try it!

ok, focus.... anyway, i was able to get everything but the charcoal basket done today. i have the important items done..... beer opener and hose-barb thermometer mod!

skidder (aka - bob) dropped by with some valves and other parts that i will use on my next drum. thanks again bob....

this one has a 1" intake raised and using the magnet valve mod. lower openings are 3/4" nipples with screw caps. i have not installed handles nor have i decided on whether to go with 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 openings on the lid. when using multiple openings, what does everyone use for a cap? i like the idea of drinking a bunch of wine and saving the corks!

anyway, if the pics work, here is MUDS (Massachusetts Ugly Drum Smoker)..... the beer is a harpoon brewery leviathan imperial IPA... essentially a barley wine. i need to sit down now......

cheers,

scott

http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/v...7.jpg&newest=1
sbramm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #2888
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbramm View Post
i did get to meet smokin' d (aka - richard) who has the coolest mini off-set. i did not know i needed one until i saw that little piece of art. friggin' awesome!
Link? Photos?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #2889
pinghacker
Knows what a fatty is.

anyway, if the pics work, here is MUDS (Massachusetts Ugly Drum Smoker)..... the beer is a harpoon brewery leviathan imperial IPA... essentially a barley wine. i need to sit down now......

Looks good Scott. Where did you find the long temp gage? I need one.
pinghacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #2890
pinghacker
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Salmon on a UDS

I'm not quite done with my UDS but I could use some tips.

Believe it or not, my beautiful wife isn't thrilled about the prospect of an UGLY drum smoker in the yard. I stress ugly because my drum has seen better days (dents and what-not).

She will be happy with ribs and other things I intend on doin' up in the new toy, but if I could present her with some good salmon she may feel a little better about the whole idea.

I thought that salmon was usually cold smoked but I'm sure somebody out there has made some on a UDS. Any knowledge shared would be appreciated.
pinghacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #2891
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinghacker View Post

Looks good Scott. Where did you find the long temp gage? I need one.
thermometer is from wally-world in the bbq dept for $5... a turkey fryer unit. hose barb is yet another harbor freight item... how would we get by without them? :)
sbramm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #2892
capri man
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinghacker View Post

Believe it or not, my beautiful wife isn't thrilled about the prospect of an UGLY drum smoker in the yard. I stress ugly because my drum has seen better days (dents and what-not).
that makes them cook better!! a pretty one will not work!!
brinkman smoker
big azz upright smoker
really ugly UDS
kingsford kettle grill
weber smokey joe platnium
big gas grill (sorry!)
capri man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #2893
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawley View Post
Link? Photos?
Well it is not a UDS, but it is what you are looking for Thawley. If you like I have more pics and can post those along with some mini cooks.

Here is Cooper, the Mini reverse flow smoker

Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #2894
masiewiz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Let's talk paint.

The engine block paint comes in many cool colors, but the can says it is rated for "Up to 400 degrees intermittently". BBQ paint is rated to 1500 degrees, but pretty much just black. Has anyone had trouble with their paint burning off or fading? I wanna paint my UDS...aka Frankenstein green, is engine block paint OK?

Masiewiz
masiewiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #2895
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
Well it is not a UDS, but it is what you are looking for Thawley. If you like I have more pics and can post those along with some mini cooks.

Here is Cooper, the Mini reverse flow smoker

That is just way too cool!!! I really really really want one of those. Oh, did I mentrion it is just way too cool.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker