MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #2716
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Dunno if I would monkey with an open bottom again.
Neat theory but still a PIA to empty. My first one was like that.
I use the Pooper Scooper nowadays. Faster, cleaner
and a lot less hassle.

I have both a Flat Top and a Webber lid.
Jury is still out as to which one I like the best.
They are almost totally different cookers.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
Well it sure did take awhile but I got through all 181 pages of this thread. I have two drums at the moment 1 has all the holes drilled, been burned out, wire brushed, and oiled and has 1 coat of black paint on it. Flat top. The second coat should happen on Saturday with an inaugural cook on Sunday or Monday. Thank you to all who have gone before. I will post pics when I put on all the hardware, including the bottle opener. The second drum has had nothing done to it yet. I'm thinking to have it with a Weber top and two grates, removable bottom. But that's up in the air. I posted this today because there has not been a new post for 3 days!!
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #2717
masiewiz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default How much coal?

Hi Guys,

I'm building my smoker this weekend thanks to your help. But I still am unsure about the quantity of coal (Briquettes or lump) for a 12 hour cook? Also do I chimney the whole amount or just a starter amount on top of new coal? Thanks

Masiewiz
masiewiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #2718
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Good luck and have fun with the build. As far as charcoal, Fill up your basket with charcoal and a few chunks of smoke wood. Light about 10 briquettes and dump on top of the unlit. Catch the temps on the way up and you should have no problem. Some folks use a weed burner to light the coals too. This is all hearsay as I've yet to do a cook!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #2719
1130home
Knows what a fatty is.

read your notes from this threadroman numeral 3-section 12-bullet point 17-subsection 42-under lighting charcoal...It's right there under one of Norco's rants that you highlighted in orange to represent fire....I use lump....fill basket with unlit....start 6-8 in chimney dump on top.......monitor fire temp ect...

Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #2720
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
Dunno if I would monkey with an open bottom again.
Neat theory but still a PIA to empty.

Weiser

I'm not going to make a decision until after I actually try my first one with the flat top. The Weber top almost fits on the bottom of the second drum so that's why I'm leaning that way. Air leaks concern me though and having a ring at ground level, so you are probably steering me in the right direction. Thanks. A 3 lb. sledge around the barrels rolled rim should take care of the Weber no fit. I'll let you know.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #2721
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Weed burner is the easiest way to start the fire. These pics are from my first drum that was bottomless so I just picked it up and set it over the basket. On my new drum I just stick the weed burner in and less then one minute later I shut if off put on the lid and presto the temps a risen. Those three pics are from start to finish and in less then a minute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02784.jpg (62.4 KB, 1313 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02785.jpg (63.4 KB, 1312 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02786.jpg (62.7 KB, 1311 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #2722
Ninesixteen
Got Wood.

Ok guys, I have a question for you. I have about 8 cooks in my drum so far and I like it a lot. However, I am having a hard time getting my temps up. I have no problem getting to 225, but I can't get any higher. I have all 3 inlets open. This is with the lid sealed shut. However, my last cook i didn't seal it completely shut and the lid was not closed all the way around. During this time, my temps went up to 350*. This led me to think that my exhausts (8 holes in flat lid) are not big enough. Do you guys think that if I drilled the holes a bit bigger that I would be able to get temps higher if I wanted them (for chicken and such)?
Ninesixteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #2723
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninesixteen View Post
Ok guys, I have a question for you. I have about 8 cooks in my drum so far and I like it a lot. However, I am having a hard time getting my temps up. I have no problem getting to 225, but I can't get any higher. I have all 3 inlets open. This is with the lid sealed shut. However, my last cook i didn't seal it completely shut and the lid was not closed all the way around. During this time, my temps went up to 350*. This led me to think that my exhausts (8 holes in flat lid) are not big enough. Do you guys think that if I drilled the holes a bit bigger that I would be able to get temps higher if I wanted them (for chicken and such)?

When I want the temp to go up I just open all the intakes and take the lid off for a few minutes. Then I put the lid back on and check the temp. If it's OK I just close the intakes enough to maintain the higher temp. If it's not high enough I just take the lid back off for a few more minutes and repeat the process.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #2724
Ninesixteen
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonHoggBBQ View Post
When I want the temp to go up I just open all the intakes and take the lid off for a few minutes. Then I put the lid back on and check the temp. If it's OK I just close the intakes enough to maintain the higher temp. If it's not high enough I just take the lid back off for a few more minutes and repeat the process.

See that's the thing. I already have all of the intakes open just to keep things at 225.
Ninesixteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #2725
Andyll
Found some matches.

easy peasey..drill another intake?
Andyll
Andyll is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #2726
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Question

What size are your Intakes?
How far are they from the bottom and are you using an ashtray?
If so, how tall are the sides on it?
What config is your Basket?

This ain't rocket science but in order to answer a question intelligently,
we need your specs. Photos are always a plus.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninesixteen View Post
See that's the thing. I already have all of the intakes open just to keep things at 225.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #2727
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like you've got some kind of intake air flow issue. I've never run all my intakes open for more than start-up. All I need is intakes closed and ball valve at about 3/4 open to get steady 225-230. I'm using a Weber lid which may make a diference.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #2728
SCPossum
Knows what a fatty is.

I never have to run mine more than 1 open to stay at 225. I just have the regular flat lid.
SCPossum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #2729
masiewiz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Still paint on an in my drum

I stacked my drum with a bunch of wood and got maybe 65% of the lining and paint off, but that still leaves 35% left. Should I sand it out or get a weed burner from harbor freight?
masiewiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #2730
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Weed burner.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker