MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #2701
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Another good source for drums is a livestock feed supplier.
tried my local feed supply joint today. no luck. tractor supply was a bust as well.
sbramm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #2702
Quiggs
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
Well after reading this thread "twice"! I tackled my first build. Thanks to all for the ideas!

Burning out freebie barrel..

Making firebox out of old grill..

Firebox done..

Decided to trim Weber lid to fit into drum lid..

Lid cut out...

Fitting..and it worked. Brazed it together after grinding porcelin off in a few spots.

Air intake..

Twin racks and test fire..

Test chicken..

A bit of paint and shortened a handcart to bolt to barrel for transportation. Going to raise it 2" to keep off of ground before bolting together.

Ash poker in cart hole..

Sorry if this is to long, but thank again to all your posts for ideas!!

Quiggs of Lake Havasu!!

Finally done, added a few light flames and bolted to the handcart after raising it off the ground a few inches..

Now to practice!!!

WSM & 22" WSM
UDS
22" gold and silver
El Cheapo Offset
Smokey Joe
Gasser
Granpa's 1943 custom 3'
portable fire bricked rotisserie
Quiggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #2703
stiffy
Full Fledged Farker

Heres some pictures of my smoker..

stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #2704
D-Rell
Got Wood.

Default wanting to buy UDS

Does anyone sell the UDS?
D-Rell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #2705
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

I saw a crazy man with a web site trying to sell them for $600. Wow. Plus shipping. He also had a kit, barrel not included, for $400. Holy crap. I am in the process of making my first with plans to make another with a different design. 1 with flat lid and one with Weber lid. Gonna keep the one I like best and sell the other locally. Shipping is a big issue with these things, so the best bet is to build one your self, if you have the tools, or find someone nearby who can do it for you. All you really need is a drill, a step bit and some wrenches. Bound to be someone who lives relatively close to you who would be willing. Good luck. My cost was $30 for a reconditioned barrel all burned out and bead blasted, and about another $30 for the hardware and expando. Plus time. But since I've got more time than money, pretty cheap.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #2706
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rell View Post
Does anyone sell the UDS?
You can Buy a BDS or Big drum Smoker. Several guys here have them and like the a lot. They have good support and cooking tips.
http://www.bigdrumsmoker.com/

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #2707
blues brother
Full Fledged Farker

I have a total of about 65-70 bucks in mine....and would pay twice that much for the fun of building one and cooking some dang good Q on a cooker that I made on a cooker that "I" made.
1 GF223 Stump Smoker
1 250 gal propane tank cooker(trailer mounted)
1 UDS to be...soon
1 Traeger

NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK!
blues brother is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #2708
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues brother View Post
I have a total of about 65-70 bucks in mine....and would pay twice that much for the fun of building one and cooking some dang good Q on a cooker that I made on a cooker that "I" made.
Bragging rights go a long way. Pride in ownership.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #2709
packrat
Found some matches.

My friend and I have started ours. Have them all cleaned up and the intakes on them. Just need to build the firebox and drill the holes for the racks. Hopefully will be finished up tomorrow so that we can fire it up on Saturday, then cook on it on Sunday. Will have to post some pics when we're done.
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #2710
Digi
Full Fledged Farker

is there anyone that would be willing to physically talk to me about a uds build? if so please pm ur #... thanks!
22.5" Weber OTG - dubbed "Little Bit"
[/COLOR]
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #2711
dedmete
Knows what a fatty is.

I wanted to show everyone my new lid setup. I wanted to be able to run 2 grill racks, so with a lot of digging around here, and some help from a few members (thanks for the info Barbarian), here's what I did:
I had a few other barrels that I had planned on using to make a big baby double barrel smoker with. I canned (lol) that idea after reading this thread on the UDS. I cut around the drum with a cut off wheel, 7" from the top on a closed head drum. I was going to cut the center out of a spare top from another drum, after cutting it out I was going to weld the the "ring" I had left to the top I had cut off the drum. While I was checking for fit before welding, I turned the "ring" upside down and set it on the top of my UDS, then put the new lid on, perfect airtight fit. When I originally cut the center out of the top, I was really after just getting the outer most ring or lip from it, in order to make a good seal on the UDS. Flipping it upside down worked out better than I could have imagined. Here's a few pic's:

It's kind of hard to see the new ring on there

From a different angle:

Lid all finished:

And the final result:

I used it for the first time yesterday with the new lid. Temps where much easier to control. My old lid had 8 1/2" holes drilled around it, but I thnk when I used the weed burner to take the paint off, it warped the lid so bad I wasn't getting a good seal. This new setup is perfect. The lid fits nice and snug around the new lip.
dedmete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #2712
stiffy
Full Fledged Farker

Yesterday I was using the setup I showed above, and had trouble getting the temps to hold below 300*, and because of that my magnets I was using for vent flaps kinda got stuck to my barrel, so I am wondering what other non weld suggestions there are, I was thinking about the electrical box cover idea, seems feasible but will the concave of the barrel have any neg effects to the vents seal?

Also, on keeping a lower temp, I was running two shoulders, my charcoal basket is 14x8 and 16" tall, bottom of basket is 3" off barrel bottom, any ideas? the basket didnt want to burn evenly, which is why I did more than half a chimney at the beginning.
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #2713
bspencer
Found some matches.

Got mine done. not nearly as nice as most of yours, but it should work fine.

Bspencer
bspencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #2714
jtwisted13
Full Fledged Farker

You can thread nipples in and use conduit nuts to lock them in.
Nuts come in bag from Home Depot/Lowes, ect. Found in electrical section.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=40

or make this

http://uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com/2...ng-loaded.html

Old 04-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #2715
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Default Finally did it!

Well it sure did take awhile but I got through all 181 pages of this thread. I have two drums at the moment 1 has all the holes drilled, been burned out, wire brushed, and oiled and has 1 coat of black paint on it. Flat top. The second coat should happen on Saturday with an inaugural cook on Sunday or Monday. Thank you to all who have gone before. I will post pics when I put on all the hardware, including the bottle opener. The second drum has had nothing done to it yet. I'm thinking to have it with a Weber top and two grates, removable bottom. But that's up in the air. I posted this today because there has not been a new post for 3 days!!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker