MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Default Any tips for baby back ribs

Hey all, I'm not new to cooking ribs but I mainly do spareribs. As of lately the ribs I have been getting have had more fat than normal, even after trimming. So I'm going to try something a little leaner babbybacks. My plan is to keep this as simple as possible. My plan is rub with salt and pepper, put on UDS and cooking 250 until done. Sound right? Any tweaks? About how long should this take 3.5-4 hours?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nothing wrong with that at all. No matter what temp you go just make sure you have good pull back, and it's tender.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Bludawg

work the plan!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

I normally run at 250 with no foil and its 5 til they pass the bend test.. Its hard to find small BB's and usually buy the bigger loin backs.

Last edited by ICDEDTURKES; 07-30-2014 at 10:16 AM..
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
deguerre

The BBs I get generally run 3.5~4 lbs and take around 4 hours @ 250, more or less. Sometimes a little longer but after 3.5 hours I check them. Sometimes they surprise me either side of that 4 hours.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like a good plan to me. One important step you forgot is shipping a slab to me for quality assurance review!

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed. My best advice as to what to do with babybacks is to wave at them as you walk by on your way to the spareribs!

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
jrben1
On the road to being a farker

I remove the membrane and marinate overnight in an apple cider marinade. I use foil pans with wire racks. Spray with olive oil and put rub on an hour before smoking. I cook mine at 225-235 degrees. Smoke for 2 1/2 hours. Pour one cup of apple juice into foil pan beneath ribs, sprinkle some brown sugar on top of ribs and cover with lid or aluminum foil - then steam for 1 1/2 hours. Should be about done now. Glaze for 15 minutes. Remove from cooker and rest for 15 minutes.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
aawa
Babbling Farker

Enjoy several adult beverages of your choice until the ribs pass the bend test.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krshome View Post
Hey all, I'm not new to cooking ribs but I mainly do spareribs. As of lately the ribs I have been getting have had more fat than normal, even after trimming. So I'm going to try something a little leaner babbybacks. My plan is to keep this as simple as possible. My plan is rub with salt and pepper, put on UDS and cooking 250 until done. Sound right? Any tweaks? About how long should this take 3.5-4 hours?
Sounds like a good plan of action to me, with just a little oak smoke you'll be doing them in a true Texas style!
As for the fattier spares that you've been getting, that's not such a bad thing really. Extra fat to render out makes the meat more tender, in fact Johnny Trigg once talked about how happy he was that everyone else wanted the lean spares and left all of the fattier ones for him!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #11
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepitboss View Post
Maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed. My best advice as to what to do with babybacks is to wave at them as you walk by on your way to the spareribs!

seattlepitboss
I have to agree with you, BBs are less meat for more money! To me there's nothing like a full, untrimmed spare rib and I like to cut up the riblets into my beans.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I agree with the walk on by sentiment. Spare ribs for me are far more enjoyable, and less expensive.

On your process, I see nothing wrong there. I do cook loin backs on occasion, and have good luck cooking them at 275-325 nekkid. Just use a dry rub and cook 'em till they pass the toothpick test. That is usually about 3 to 4 hours depending on how meaty they are. I have seen some extremely meaty ones in the store lately.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote