Best Smoker for Catering

Jamo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I know i may be opening up a can of worms here, but here goes...

In your opinion, what would be the ideal smoker for a catering company to utilize?

The FEC's look great, but require power. There is also a lot of smaller companies out there that simply build a bigger trailer smoker and call it a catering smoker.

I'm interested in getting feed back on what you wished you had purchased/built when you were first getting started, and for those who have been doing it for a while what you wished you had now.

Thanks!

Jamo

I wish!

I'm actually putting together a feasibility study for my final project for my MBA. I'm trying to get input on what people are looking for when they are purchasing a smoker used to catering purposes.

I figured, why not ask the guys who do this for a living?

I wish!

I'm actually putting together a feasibility study for my final project for my MBA. I'm trying to get input on what people are looking for when they are purchasing a smoker used to catering purposes.

I figured, why not ask the guys who do this for a living?

Spicewine is never a bad choice - Versatile, holds plenty of product, multi function. Catering does require more than just a good pit. Most use a grill as well, plus trailer, etc etc.

Love my Spicewine! I also have a gatorpit that is a trailered pit. I was saving for a Spice trailer but I came across a gatorpit that was local and had a agreeable price tag. For the "dog & pony show" I pull the gatorpit and everyone gets to see the wood fire and smell the smoke etc,etc.......

I would love small Spicewine to run along side my Meat Beast. This would make life easier doing music festivals over a 3-5 day run but we manage just fine at the moment. It's more early morning work setting the cooker up for grilling after she's smoked all night but not too taxing.

This will be our second year and I have plans to build a second beast but just a bit smaller so we can take the double bookings.

I'm building my trailer which will be 8.5X20 7' porch and installing an FEC 500 through the rear wall.

FEC. As close to set it and forget it that you can get. Power is not that big of a thing, plus you can use it in contests if you want to.

Pete

I used a Backwoods for years and it worked great but there comes a time when ease of operation makes a big difference and thats were and FEC comes into play. I guess you have to look at your budget and what your are using it for.Are you planning on daily vending or just the weekend gigs.

Right now the thoughts are for weekend gigs, and drop off catering. I love the idea of building it slowly, and growing the business over time. Right now with my wife about to deliver our second child... i'm kinda digging the health insurance.

I really like the insulation of the spice wine.. Is the backwoods also insulated?

Yup sure is and not as heavy to move around I do offer Brethren discounts on new units also.I am just south of Albany

Meadow Creek makes nice catering units priced reasonable and well built.

Right now the thoughts are for weekend gigs, and drop off catering. I love the idea of building it slowly, and growing the business over time. Right now with my wife about to deliver our second child... i'm kinda digging the health insurance.

What's your budget look like and can you build? I built The Beast out of a water tank (bowser) for the cost of beer , meat and around 200.00 in parts. Yes it's a rough as a badgers azz and took a fair bit of scrap metal hunting but we got her done. She's a real croud pleaser and draws lot's of attenion.

2mea06q.jpg

15h0itf.jpg

296n2vd.jpg

67hxs6.jpg

Whatever pit you choose, make sure it can handle some volume. You never know when you might get a big catering gig. I might consider a rotisserie because you get the volume and you have even cook temps without having to move things around during the cook. I have a Stumps and it has served me well but the ease of set it and forget it goes out the window when it is fully loaded. Just consider that prior to making your purchase. When you get these catering jobs, you will have a bunch of work to do and you don't want to be fussing with the pit when the veggies need to be sliced.

A Lang 84D was my choice and worked out very well, great for vending/catering and onsite cookin..(the roof was my mod)

P1010016.jpg

P1010014.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks she's fun to cook on.

Suits us to the ground for catering as most of the work is grilling. The left side is the hot holding chamber so for a smoke we just place the meat over there and light the drum furthest to the right as in the picture.

When it's time to grill just put the food over the coals. It's basic,crude, uninsulated and may not win any awards but it came on it's own frame and isn't very heavy. It's sorta like a giant Weber or a UDS with a tow hitch so perfect for one day events.

5v9op4.jpg

*Hat NOT included*
:D

:cool:I'd take a Klose catering pit mouted on the back porch of a 30 ft. trailer (Extreme) . That is the "Dream!"

However, my rig suits my needs. If I get 300+; I simply rent an eight foot grill.
She is much more worn now. Here is a pic from 2006 brand stanky new!

SheisHere008.jpg

:cool:I'd take a Klose catering pit mouted on the back porch of a 30 ft. trailer (Extreme) . That is the "Dream!"

However, my rig suits my needs. If I get 300+; I simply rent an eight foot grill.
She is much more worn now. Here is a pic from 2006 brand stanky new!

SheisHere008.jpg

PM Sent.

Back