MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
tnev35
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Thomas
Default First Pig Roast

Hello all,

Will be doing a 120 lb whole hog on a block pit, indirect heat, burn barrel for my coals.
Sides: Beans, Slaw, Mac and Cheese, Potato salad, and Corn on the Cob.
I would like to supplement pre HOG with short rib slider and smoked turkey slider.
Will also have burgers and dogs this will be a 8 to 10 hour event with 80 adults and plenty of beer.

Thoughts and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated .
tnev35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
tnev35

Could I be in the wrong forum?

Old 07-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
wbratt1
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I'm not sure what suggestions you're looking for (quantity, meat choices..etc.) as it seems as though you've laid out your plan. I'm thinking this post would fit better in the Catering, Vending and Cooking for the Masses forum, but I'm not sure how to move it.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
tnev35

I had been reading some posts, I suppose I could of asked a direct question for 80 adults not quite sure I'm going to have enough food.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

What is the event? 8-10hrs is a long event
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

How many meals are you planning to feed the crowd during the 8-10 hours? If feeding one meal you will have plenty. What time does the event start and end?

Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
tnev35

The plan would be to snacks short rib and turkey appetizer, then do Hog with dogs and burgers, dogs and burgers in the evening. 2 pm to 10 pm maybe a little later

Old 07-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
tnev35

Just a Pig Roast for Family and Friends

Old 07-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've heard that ~1lb of raw pig weight per person is a good number for calculation after inedible parts, moisture loss, etc are accounted for when doing a whole pig. If I planned to offer sliders prior to the main course, I'd probably reheat some previously cooked/vacuum sealed/frozen meat to keep it easy so I can focus on the big meat and still be able to enjoy some of the festivities.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnev35 View Post
Hello all,

Will be doing a 120 lb whole hog on a block pit, indirect heat, burn barrel for my coals.
I would like to supplement pre HOG with short rib slider and smoked turkey slider.
Will also have burgers and dogs this will be a 8 to 10 hour event with 80 adults and plenty of beer.

tnev35
Please post some pictures ! I have seen a couple of youtube videos of folks doing whole hogs and suckling pigs. Its a fascinating process. I have a big family and I'd love to try it sometime. I think I need an equipment change first, but, that's another story.
Pictures would certainly be appreciated.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

You’ll have plenty of food. Is this your question?
CentralOhioBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #12
tnev35

Will post some for sure

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #13
tnev35

My biggest cook thus far has had been for about 20 people , 4 times that is taking it to the next level. I always thinking to much is better than to little. I guess timing is key. So i think I'm going to do the smoked turkey slider and short rib slider as a lead into the pork and supplement to with HB and HD. and the sides.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
tnev35

Default Pictures from Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I've heard that ~1lb of raw pig weight per person is a good number for calculation after inedible parts, moisture loss, etc are accounted for when doing a whole pig. If I planned to offer sliders prior to the main course, I'd probably reheat some previously cooked/vacuum sealed/frozen meat to keep it easy so I can focus on the big meat and still be able to enjoy some of the festivities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknekked View Post
tnev35
Please post some pictures ! I have seen a couple of youtube videos of folks doing whole hogs and suckling pigs. Its a fascinating process. I have a big family and I'd love to try it sometime. I think I need an equipment change first, but, that's another story.
Pictures would certainly be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralOhioBBQ View Post
You’ll have plenty of food. Is this your question?
Quote:
Hello all,

I don't think I have permission to post pictures yet

Old 07-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #15
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
I don't think I have permission to post pictures yet
I'm pretty much a newb on the site and I am allowed to post pictures. In one of those "how to do it" posts put up by the moderators they describe the process to post pics here on this forum. Its different than other forums I am a member of. Easier in many respects.

Under the "Community" selection up in the header of the webpage, there is a selection for Pictures and Albums. You go there to create an album. You can put pics there. When you create a thread or want to post a pic, you use the album as the source. works pretty well.

Lookin forward to pig pics