MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #121
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibulvr View Post
Not sure if this answered my question...lol

How do you keep it from getting hammy tasting ?

Sent via my Androidlicious Evo LTE!
You mean in general?

The "hammy" taste in many cases comes from too much salt in a brine or injection I'd think.

In general, the only thing that's going to cause "hamminess" is addition of salt of seasonings in general.

Is that what you mean or something more specific?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #122
malibulvr
On the road to being a farker

I guess that answers it,lol,just don't want it tasting like ham. Maybe I shouldn't brine it just in case.

malibulvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #123
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Those smoke turkey legs are brined/cured with the intended purpose of creating a ham like product. As long as you follow a recipe for a whole bird you shouldn't have any issues.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #124
malibulvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
Those smoke turkey legs are brined/cured with the intended purpose of creating a ham like product. As long as you follow a recipe for a whole bird you shouldn't have any issues.
Ok great, works for me
malibulvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #125
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibulvr View Post
I guess that answers it,lol,just don't want it tasting like ham. Maybe I shouldn't brine it just in case.

Here is what I use.
smoked turkey legs recipe
Ingredients:
8 - 12 turkey legs
Brine:
1 gallon water
1/2 C. kosher salt
1/2 C. sugar
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp ground pepper
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp ground cumin
Instructions:
Rinse turkey legs in cold water, pat dry. For brine, combine brine ingredients in large pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let cool to room temperature. Pour into container (a large Rubbermaid container with lid works well) and refrigerate brine until cold (approximately 35-40 degrees F).
Place the turkey legs into brine. Let soak four to six hours. Remove legs, rinse well, and discard brine. Dry drumsticks well with paper towels.
Prepare Turkey Drumstick “wet rub” with the following ingredients:
3 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
3 Tbsp vegetable or light olive oil
In small bowl, combine spice rub ingredients with fork til well mixed. Rub onto turkey legs. Let drumsticks sit out for about one hour. Place turkey legs into smoker at 225 degrees F. A light-flavored wood is best for turkey. Apple wood works well and so does cherry wood.
Smoke legs for four to six hours, til meat is nearly falling off the bone. Remove legs from smoker, and let rest for half an hour. Devour greedily.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #126
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

Bump.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #127
Kenny Rogers
Full Fledged Farker

I've never had a "hammy" tasting turkey, but when I think of "hammy" taste, I think of salt... yes cut your salt!!
I don't plan on brining mine at all... I'll do an injection, but not brine...

Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #128
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

High five Kempis! Great thread that you started last year.

In 8.5 hours i'm off for 8 days. My nephew Glenn (gatordawg on this forum) and family are coming to TX & staying for a week and we've gotta lotta cookin' planned. Lookin' to do a smoked turkey & this thread is gonna be used soon.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #129
seadad9903
Full Fledged Farker

the first time i read through this thread when it got bumped for this year, i (after a couple of sidetracks on some of the links) ended up on a site that had a pros & cons of wet brining and dry brining. anyone have the site handy? i cant find it now.

thanks
seadad9903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #130
Pig Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

Are all Butterball Turkeys enhanced with solution? I was looking at the lable of one that has been given to me and all it states is "All Natural." The reason I am asking is I am not certain I should brine it or not? Typically, I do Hokas.
Pig Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #131
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Daddy View Post
Are all Butterball Turkeys enhanced with solution? I was looking at the lable of one that has been given to me and all it states is "All Natural." The reason I am asking is I am not certain I should brine it or not? Typically, I do Hokas.
On the "all natural" label, "Contains up to 4% solution of water, salt and spices to enhance tenderness and juiciness."

Old 11-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #132
TalonBrew

Ahhh. That time of year. I just got on to do a big-time search for this thread from last year, and here it is!

Thanks guys. This site is the best!
TalonBrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #133
Mavpa
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I have a 17 pounder going in the BWS tomorrow for a test. I have been smoking turkey for 30 years but want to see how the Party cooks a turkey. I have never brined my turkey and they are always super moist.
How's this turn out? I'm gonna be giving this a whirl on Saturday. Any lessons or tips?
Mavpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #134
foppa78

I brined my Butterball. Am I screwed?
foppa78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #135
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Great thread! Thanks guys for all the tips. I didn't know what I was going to do for the holidays. Yesterday I hit up Whole Foods for some Dry Aged ribeyes (new Jumbo Joe, have to break it in right) and my girlfriend shows up at the meat counter with a 10lb fresh turkey. The label says less than 4% water added. I figure I'll still do a brine, and get it on the grill on Thursday. I've never taken on a project this big for slower cooking, and we might have a few traveling friends over since none of us can make it back to our families.

One of the posts above showed a kettle with the coals on both sides of the bird. Is that the suggested method? I'm going to be using the new Jumbo Joe 18" grill, so I'm not really sure how to set things up. Should I grab a pair of those charcoal baskets? I like the look of that Williams Sonoma turkey gravy base, picking that up tomorrow!
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote