MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Chuck - pulled beef problem (help)

A few weeks ago, I put a couple of probably around 2lb chucks on the UDS. Smoked between 225 and 250. Most of it ran about 244. Ran it up to 160 IT (the stall hit at 155*)(sat there for what seemed like forever), and pulled and basted with half beef broth, and half apple cider mixture. Wrapped in foil and put back on the UDS. ran it up to an internal temp of 205*. Pulled and rested in a cooler wrapped in a beach towel for about an hour. Unwrapped expecting some great pulled beef, I found that it would not pull. I had to slice it. The flaver was great, and it was very good meat, but I was hoping for pulled. I did take pictures of it, but do not have them with me right now. Any advise as to what might have went wrong?
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I have seen this before with chucks. I think the problem might be that the whole chuck can be a 25 lb hunk of meat sometimes with a bunch of different muscles that all do different things. Some of these muscles do more work than others. If you bought t2 lb chucks it could be that yours could have been from a tougher section of the whole clod.

I have had this happen before also, but I've also had some that never even needed the foil to get pull apart tender. Either way I think if you hold that 205* in the foil long enough they should finish fine.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Yes, when I've done a whole Chucky, there have always been some parts that won't pull... but certainly your method seems to be fine.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

I routinely have to take my chucks well over 205F to be pulled. Last cook I did I took to 215 internal pulled like a charm.
Three porks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Did you calibrate your Thermo?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Midnight ☼ Smoke} View Post
Did you calibrate your Thermo?
I am using a Maverick e-73. I have checked it in boiling water. it is accurate.
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

I did my first one here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=94382

I cooked @ 250* until the chuck was 160*. Then I foiled in a tinfoil pan with some vegi's and liquids @ 350* for 3 more hours. I never used temp to check for doneness. After three hours I pulled the foil lid and started to pull. There were a couple areas that could have gone a bit longer. However I did let the chuck continue to cook uncovered for another hour. It was simply amazing and worked very well using this method. Hope this helps. Vince

Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I won't cook small pieces of chuck any more. They are difficult to get right without drying out. I try to buy chucks that are at least 7 or 8 lbs. They come out much better.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote