Auburn Game Day overnight smoke (Pron)

R

RDWD

Well guys I though I would start a thread to document my first overnight smoke on the COS. Doing a couple of small butts, the store was out of larger ones :mad2:. The butts are about 5-6# each so I will probably foil after the first few hours to avoid drying out. I have injected with apple juice mixed with a little homemade rub and patted em down with said rub. I would like to say thanks for all of the great advice and opinions on the site. It really helped me work up the nerve to do an overnight. Stay tuned for more pron and by all means War Eagle!!!

As much as I complain about smoking things overnight I actually sort of begrudgingly enjoy it. There is nothing like heading outside at 3 a.m., flashlight in hand, to check the progress.

Be sure to give your buddy a nibble or two along the way.

Sleepy I am oddly enough looking forward to it. Don't worry she gets all the little treats that she wants seeing as she can get my beer out of the fridge for me. Here are a few more pics please forgive the poor quality as I am using my phone since the wifey forget the camera.

Getting started

Hitting the smoke. Im gonna work on getting better quality pics as I go.

Well looky there an Auburn fan from GA imagine that haha. Update... flipping the charcoal trough thingy has really helped regulate the temp on the off set. It has been staying very steady at 250. Thats a bit hotter than I was looking for but I will take it. Looking at the meat Im probably gonna let it go a few more hours before foiling it. Being that the butts are smaller than what I would like I am concerned about moisture. You guys have any advice on how to keep a small butt moist on a long smoke?

How is your smoke coming along tonight? I had to run to wally world to get more charcoal I ran out of the bag I had and thought there was more but no such luck. Holding steady now at 250

Good Luck on your cook from a fellow Auburn Tiger and War Eagle. I just finished my first UDS and I thought you might enjoy a look.

AuburnUDS-1.jpg

Oh man that is one pretty drum smoker, I bet if I had that I wouldn't be up watching the fire. The smoke is going pretty well, I took a 2:30 sleep in which time the temps dropped to around 200. I went ahead and put the butts in an aluminum pan covered with foil and added apple juice. Deadeye it looks like I might be making a run for more fuel myself as I have already gone through one bag. How is your fire holding up?

Its doing good except for when I had to go to the store. It dropped to 180. Got it back up and been steady at 250 ever since. Just probed it and Im sitting at 202 Internal temp. About to wrap it in foil and let it rest a few hours while I go to the soccer fields. Took a nap from 4-530 and the fire was still going strong. This butt sure didnt take as long as I was thinking, but this is only my 3rd smoke. :)

I thought it was "WAR DAMN EAGLE"..............Those butts look good, Enjoy them!

War eagle 22 minutes from Gameday and Erin Andrews. I was able to manage about 5-6 hours of sleep hear and there last night. The butts are looking great, not quite done yet but well on their way. I'm fixin to wash this stale smoke off of me then it is time to prep the moink balls and smoked mac n cheese. We are gonna be eating good today boys. Weagle Weagle!!

RD, I grew up in Montgomery and only moved to this ch*thole about 4-1/2 years ago, after 6 months of turning the job down and telling myself "I don't want to live in ATL". But it's where the jobs and money are, least for the time being. It's also where PEOPLE are and lots of'em. Like roaches.

I saw yesterday where ESPN is pumping some blood into AU, saying they expect them to be the team to unleash the wrath of a loss on Bamer.

I'm scared.

War Eagle.

Yea Herbstriet picked us to win the west before the season ever started. Nothing would make me happier than to kill the bamars hopes of another championship and go on to ATL. I feel like we will know alot more after todays ballgame, Clemson's qb is farkin beast.

Update... the pork is done and fixing to go into the cooler, moink balls hit the smoker a few minutes ago and the cheese is next.

War Damn Eagle! Enjoy the beautiful football Saturday.

I don't know if I could deal with living in Tuscaloosa.

While we are turning this into a rivals.com message board instead of a bbq thread i'll chip in....bring it boogs........ ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Back