Chunky sauce in competitions?

nooner

Found some matches.
Reaction score
There is some verbage in the KCBS rules for competition that allows for chunks in sauce that is presented on an entry. It states :

"Chunky sauce will be allowed. Chunks are to be no larger than a fine dice, (approximately 1/8 inch cubed)"

My question to you all is...has anyone actually tried to submit sauce with chunks that are as large as the rules allow? All the sauce that I have been serving with my entries has been quite smooth, and it would seem that chunks might detract from the overall prettiness of an entry, however I may be missing out on something here.

thanks

Jim

If you have a sauce with chunks I would think they could say that you are marking your box.

I wouldn't chance it. Judges tend to like things smooth and shiny.

Never tried it, and I don't think I would I don't care for chunky sauce my self and I would think that your appearance scores would suffer because of the chunks. Plus I would worry about someone getting a chunk of onion or Jap that doesn't like it and they would kill my taste score since the flavor could be more prominent with the chunk then in a smooth sauce.

"Chunky sauce will be allowed. Chunks are to be no larger than a fine dice, (approximately 1/8 inch cubed)"

If you have a sauce with chunks I would think they could say that you are marking your box.
Not if it follows the rules of being no more than 1/8"... They cannot give you that latitude and then take it away... Now if you spell out the team name with the chunks, that would be different....:eek:

Never tried it, and I don't think I would I don't care for chunky sauce my self and I would think that your appearance scores would suffer because of the chunks. Plus I would worry about someone getting a chunk of onion or Jap that doesn't like it and they would kill my taste score since the flavor could be more prominent with the chunk then in a smooth sauce.

I agree.

I've judged entries with chunky sauce, though mostly from backyard cooks or in the sauce category. Like anything else though, if you do it, you'd better do it right. At one contest I judged this year there was an entry with odd particles in it nobody could identify. The closest guess I heard at the table was puffed rice. The flavor was odd too, so I don't think that entry finished well.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is where does sauce end and salsa begin? Hmmm....

Personally I think a chunky sauce would take something away from the meat. The sauce should enhance it

Personally I think a chunky sauce would take something away from the meat. The sauce should enhance it

This is what we were told after our last comp. :lol:

When the judges open a box they dont want to get distracted by a chuck of sauce, or a seed in the sauce. They just want to see BBQ. The sauce should compliment the meat, not steal attention away from it.

I agree with everyone else.....chunky sauce for comps is not a good idea IMHO. If you like the sauce your using and it has chunks in it, think about running it through a blender real good so you'll still have the flavor you like without the chunks.

If you like the sauce your using and it has chunks in it, think about running it through a blender real good so you'll still have the flavor you like without the chunks.

Or strain it. I saw a guy straining his sauce at our last comp.

When the judges open a box they dont want to get distracted by a chuck of sauce, or a seed in the sauce. They just want to see BBQ. The sauce should compliment the meat, not steal attention away from it.

I agree. That's why we pick out these little seed things that are in the sauce we use for our chicken. They kind of curl up and are so tiny, they look like little curled worms. How unappetizing is that? :lol:

I personally think that chunky sauce gives an appearance of a sloppy technique. Not that it is actually sloppy, but it just looks that way when one piece of chicken or one rib has 20 some chunks of who knows what on it, and the next one beside it has 3... I like to see pieces which match in color, consistency, and brush strokes. Maybe I'm a little too anal... :)

I personally think that chunky sauce gives an appearance of a sloppy technique. Not that it is actually sloppy, but it just looks that way when one piece of chicken or one rib has 20 some chunks of who knows what on it, and the next one beside it has 3... I like to see pieces which match in color, consistency, and brush strokes. Maybe I'm a little too anal... :)

Don't be knockin' Sloppy now! :wink:

Back