2009 KCBS Banquet going to Nashville

This will be driven by attendance. KC is a more central location for alot of members. This will turn into the Big 12 tourney. Highest attendence will be in KC. If they have it in other cities thats fine but I hope they keep it coming back to KC at least every other year.

It's about time.

No offense to you midwest guys, but if KCBS is serious about giving more than lip service to the idea of being a national organization they need to make the major events more accessible to everyone. Yes, the highest concentration of members is still within a few hundred miles of Kansas City, but the majority of the membership lives outside that zone.

I think moving the banquet around the country is a great concept, perhaps returning "home" to KC every 2-3 years. The people who are willing to fly in can easily access any city with a good airport so they'll come regardless, as will the retirees and handful of road warrior teams that follow the circuit fulltime. Then there will be a bunch of folks who are dedicated cooks that have never attended a banquet before because they can't make the trip to KC.

I don't know if total attendance will be higher or lower than in the past, but it will certainly bring a lot of members into contact with the leadership face-to-face for the first time, and that is a very good thing, IMHO.

Personally, I think this is really nice.
Being from Ohio, I can basically skip half of the Bullsheet because it all revolves
around one general area. You guys in the KC area are spoiled because you basically
have the choice of at least 3 or 4 comps within easy driving distance on any one
given weekend during the summer. In Ohio, I have to think about driving quite a
distance to a comp. We are luckily getting some comps going here in Ohio.
I believe we have 3 sanctioned comps now.

So I think it's a wonderful idea to move the banquet around because
contrary to some peoples belief, there is BBQ outside of KC.

It's about time.

Then there will be a bunch of folks who are dedicated cooks that have never attended a banquet before because they can't make the trip to KC.

I don't know if total attendance will be higher or lower than in the past, but it will certainly bring a lot of members into contact with the leadership face-to-face for the first time, and that is a very good thing, IMHO.

My thinking exactly.

I think it is a great thing. If this is going to be a national organization, then getting closer to members is good. Also getting members in touch with each other is good.

On a totally seperate note, we here in the KC region have lost our "LOCAL" society. I'm all for KCBS going national, but a lot of you have local societies as well. NEBS has an organization, a chase for NEBS-TOY, NEBS banquet, etc. I've talked to a few folks around here about a MOKAN BBQ Society to support the local needs that won't be met by KCBS now that it is focused on a national organization.

The motion we passed provides for the banquet to be in the KC area every other year and a regional site the other year. I think this will be an opportunity for regional bbq associations to partner with KCBS to showcase their association and their city, and bring the banquet to their area. This is an exciting project.
Merl

I think this is a great idea. I know for me here in Ohio, Nashville is 1/2 the distance of KC.

I like the rotation. But on a side note, I think that the first year outside of KC should of went to a "neutral" site... Like Vegas or someplace warm... I would not of had the first banquet outside of KC in Nashville.

Just my thoughts...

I think it's a given that attendance will be higher in KC, simply based on the number of members that live in the area. I think it's also fair to recognize that members from outside of the area have born the expense of travel annually.

I think the Board has found a reasonable compromise. As long as the location selected is easy to get in and out of, and has reasonable lodging and car rental rates it should be fair for all (Sorry Sled, that tends to rule out the Waldorf).

Living in DFW I don't expect the banquet to come here anytime soon, but promise to organize a Snipe hunt that none of you will ever forget if it does:wink:

I think it's a given that attendance will be higher in KC, simply based on the number of members that live in the area. I think it's also fair to recognize that members from outside of the area have born the expense of travel annually.

I think the Board has found a reasonable compromise. As long as the location selected is easy to get in and out of, and has reasonable lodging and car rental rates it should be fair for all (Sorry Sled, that tends to rule out the Waldorf).

Living in DFW I don't expect the banquet to come here anytime soon, but promise to organize a Snipe hunt that none of you will ever forget if it does:wink:
We have Econo Lodge out here as well:biggrin:

Not picking on Jeff, but I foresee a lot of people thinking that way...

Hopefully, the people that you are talking about will be replaced with the ones who never had a chance to go before.

I'll be there. That's all I care about. I will have to do a little research on Nashville though. Find all the good spots... :roll:

To be honest, I'm most likely won't go to Nashville but that is only because I have family in KC (cheap lodging mod)...

I do think it's a great thing to move it around every other year and while the attendance may not be as high, many of us may not feel as much like outsiders... I rarely read the Bullsheet because most of it is based on KC stuff... With the price of gas, I'm looking local...

Back