MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #46
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check out this weekly advertisement:

http://www.uwajimaya.com/weeklyspecials.html

Center cut Kurobata Pork Butt $5.99 lb.

I know of 60 cases of Boneless Pork Butt Collar Trim that is destined for Hot Pots in the Seattle area this week!

Wonder how they label it if you were to ask for the whole Butt? 5 pounds please!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #47
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
So, a Boneless Butt Collar Trim over 5lbs is legal if it is cut and wrapped in the US?
Doesn't matter where it's cut...matters how it's cut.
If the boneless butt collar trim is cut from a regulation US pork shoulder, it should be fine.

Might be best to confirm with the processor how it's being butchered. The name doesn't make it illegal. The cutting process might.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #48
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I think it does matter. Unless you show up with a whole front leg of a pig. Then it's not the shoulder, butt or picnic... Because that is the only way to get a US recognized pork collar. This is not Europe...

Again, this is splitting hairs, which the board has ruled on. I wish anyone luck if they are turned in. I will have no problem at all calling folks out that want to play this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
If the boneless butt collar trim is cut from a regulation US pork shoulder, it should be fine.

Might be best to confirm with the processor how it's being butchered. The name doesn't make it illegal. The cutting process might.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #49
Jorge

Quote:

Bingo. It's either the cut established by the pork board or it isn't. Collar trim is not established, and WAS NOT approved by the BoD.

I'm not directing this at swamprb or anyone else. It's amazing to me that now that we've had a decision the responsibility is actually on the teams that want to make certain that they stay within the rules! I don't think I'd want to show up with a butt, that I hadn't inspected to make certain that it was within the rules. I'd be surprised if anything other than a legal cut came out of the cryo, but I wouldn't want to find out during inspection.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #50
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

Anybody else still completely confused by this or is it just me? My question is, what should my pork label say so I don't get DQ'd?

My brother is also a butcher and breaks down all our meats for us, what do I tell him: "Make sure you are cutting it at this rib and not this one." He's been butchering and working in a slaughterhouse for 20 years, if he cuts his shoulders that way does that mean he is now all of a sudden wrong?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #51
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I believe this is the site that was mentioned as establishing the butchering guidlines.
http://www.porkfoodservice.com/
If he butchers according to these guidlines, it's legal.. if not, it's not.

If you want to be safe with the "collar trimmed butt", Show up with full butts in their cryopacs and trim it down to whatever cut you wish as long as it's 5lbs still.

That in no way circumvents the rules as I understand them..
Old 02-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #52
Scottie

It needs to follow the National Pork Board says is an American cut. Not a European cut, which includes the collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeSwede View Post
Anybody else still completely confused by this or is it just me? My question is, what should my pork label say so I don't get DQ'd?

My brother is also a butcher and breaks down all our meats for us, what do I tell him: "Make sure you are cutting it at this rib and not this one." He's been butchering and working in a slaughterhouse for 20 years, if he cuts his shoulders that way does that mean he is now all of a sudden wrong?

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #53
Scottie

Not to start a disagreement. But I think you need to listen to the entire Board Meeting. This cut is not recognized by the National Pork Board, which is the standard that the KCBS BOD are following. They are not recognizing the pork collar cut. So if you even have a specialty butcher cut it, it is still illegal....

But I'll let folks find that out themselves when they are busted and banned from the KCBS...

Quote:
I believe this is the site that was mentioned as establishing the butchering guidlines.

If you want to be safe with the "collar trimmed butt", Show up with full butts in their cryopacs and trim it down to whatever cut you wish as long as it's 5lbs still.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #54
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

Don't think that's the site. Can't remember the exact name but it's the national pork board or something like that. An yway when the minutes are published it will be there. Next KCBS contest at the cooks meeting the reps should mention the new advisory as well.

And all you can cook is whole shoulder, picnic or butt and according to the US standards the "collar meat" is not part of one of these cuts.
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #55
Scottie

it is the National Pork Board Ford.. I''ve got it on my computer now listening to this part again...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #56
swamprb

Default National Pork Board??

Niche Pork

http://www.pork.org/Programs/1062/NicheTeminology.aspx

More from the Pork Board-
"New Pork Cuts Appeal to Meat Processors"

http://www.pork.org/News/812/Feature497.aspx

Mission Statement from the Pork Board

http://www.pork.org/Programs/1066/Ni...Statement.aspx

I call BS!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #57
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

They better specify item numbers and not names...
If you get Item No. 403A - Pork Shoulder, Long Cut... then you have the extra meat and it is a STD cut. The description says nothing about it being for export.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #58
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't believe that one is going to be legal. I really hope when they come out with the official word it includes the numbers as well as the verbage. I'm under the assumption that the long cut will not be legal, only the regular cut.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #59
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Not to start a disagreement. But I think you need to listen to the entire Board Meeting. This cut is not recognized by the National Pork Board, which is the standard that the KCBS BOD are following. They are not recognizing the pork collar cut. So if you even have a specialty butcher cut it, it is still illegal....

But I'll let folks find that out themselves when they are busted and banned from the KCBS...
I guess the American version would be a Boneless Butt Cellar Trimmed 407 cut. I don't care if they call it a fruit loop cut. It it comes from a Standard 403 pork shoulder, it's fine.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #60
swamprb

Anyone else notice SRF is still selling 4lb Pork Collars?