Seeking tips for my first class

BasicPatrick

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This weekend I am taking my first competition class. I know many others are taking many classes over the next few months.

If any of you old far...seni...more experienced members are generous enough to share any suggestions or tips on how to get the most out of a class, this rookie and I suspect many more are all ears.

Thx

If they allow you to take pictures take as many as you can of all meat preperation. Actually everything. You sometimes forget small details when you get home that a picture can help you out on. And take a ton of notes. The thing, oh i will remember that, isnt always true. And remember, classes are just a guide sometimes. So if you can take something from the class and put your own spin on it, that sometimes works better.

If there are two of you, have one of you take COPIOUS notes. The other listen, listen, LISTEN and ask questions. If it's multi-day, after each day get together and review the notes. Add additional notes if necessary. If there are holes be prepared to ask questions the next day.

The amount of information shared is amazing. The amount of knowledge and understanding that goes in to the making of a good class is immeasurable.

Good luck, and I hope you have fun!!!

Try to cook the recipes exactly as taught in the class. Do this asap after the class.

Of course you can tweak from there but I think its important to try and reproduce what you learned first.

All of this is dead-on advice! Paul and I took the same class last year (Scottie-cancersucks... great class!!!) and I still refer back to those pictures occasionally; they are priceless whenever I want to go back and review our processes. Being a bit learning impaired sometimes (stupid ADD), I found that already having a couple comps under my belt really helped me pick up on what was being shown in our class. Also, you will probably find that you can contact the instructor after the fact for clarification of your notes or additional questions. I'm sure you will be anxious to cook asap after your class. As Chris said, be sure you do and take many notes.

Have fun and good luck.

Take lots of notes and ask lots of questions. If you're not allowed to take pictures, draw pictures.

Arrive early, take pics and notes, ask questions, do hands on when given the chance, sit up close, hang out Friday night by the fire and listen, don't be late Saturday morning, offer to help, ask more questions, taste the food, don't leave till all your questions are answered. When you get home re-write your notes, put captions to your pictures, start practicing ASAP while it's fresh. Call the instructor with follow up questions. That's what I encourage my students to do anyway...:wink:

Take advantage of every opportunity. I once took the old-school new-school class, and Johnny Trigg invited everyone that wanted to to get up with him at 3:30 when he got his fires rolling and put the big meats on. I was the only one to join him, and it gave me an hour of one-on-one time with one of the venerable masters of the art.

The other advice is to take as detailed a set of notes as you can. Stuff you won't recognize as important now, you will rediscover in your notes in the months and years to come, and will be able to use then.

Brett

If you are taking Scotties class from what I hear its amazing. Its a show all tell all class not just methods. I wish I knew his methods. Whatever you do, make sure you get and keep as much info as you can. The only advice is learn and remember, notes, pics, voice record, whatever they allow and helps you learn better. You should also look into ique class up in that area, they put on a great tell all class too.

Hey Im coming out to the Shore on Septemger. Line up Snooky and Jwow and Ill have a class. :becky:

Back