Benefits of being a KCBS member (Question)

The Bullsheet every month
An organization with standardized rules for bbq competitions
An organization that trains judges and reps for competitions
Team of the year recognition

I originally joined just to get the Bullsheet and I continue to be a member for the Bullsheet and to have a say(vote) in how this organization is run. I also believe to be considered a KCBS certified Judge you need to maintain your membership.

I feel that if im going to play in the club, I should be a member. As for benefits, I dont know yet, but I feel good that I finally joined. JMHO.

I am a paid member since 03 what the others said, do you really get anything back.

I think so. The thrill of victory and the agoney fo defeat. Friends whom you would have never met with out competing. 35.00 a year, a paper, and friends. yeah it is worth it.

I will spend more than that on a round at the bar for people I don't like!!

Same reasons as Steve, Sully and Dale stated.

And of course the hotel dicount........:razz::lol:

The Bullsheet every month
An organization with standardized rules for bbq competitions
An organization that trains judges and reps for competitions
Team of the year recognition

I originally joined just to get the Bullsheet and I continue to be a member for the Bullsheet and to have a say(vote) in how this organization is run. I also believe to be considered a KCBS certified Judge you need to maintain your membership.
I also joined just for the Bullsheet. As I found out more about sanctioning cotnests I decided it was worth continuing to support. Today with all the web based contest lists, etc you don't need a bullsheet or to join but if you compete you should and if you're a CBJ you must to maintain certification.

And I also voted so it gives me the right to bitch about what the BOD does or doesn't do.

Same reasons as Steve, Sully and Dale stated.

And of course the hotel dicount........:razz::lol:
What's this hotel discount I'm hearing about? Guess I missed that announcement. Of course I have so many free nights I can't use them up this year if I tried so maybe I saw it and said so what. And I hear you can do better on Orbitz.

I too, like reading the Bullsheet. Can I ask a question here, does the KCBS collect a fee or a percentage from the contest organizers? in other words, does the contest have to pay to be considered sanctioned and have KCBS reps and judges?

I too, like reading the Bullsheet. Can I ask a question here, does the KCBS collect a fee or a percentage from the contest organizers? in other words, does the contest have to pay to be considered sanctioned and have KCBS reps and judges?

The KCBS requires a sanctioning fee, a per competitor fee and a fee for entries beyond the basic 4 (that their reps are involved in, if it's something like chili after hours and they aren't involved, there is no additional fee).

They also require that you pay the expenses of the KCBS reps that attend the event.

All of which I believe is very reasonable.

Eric

KCBS has a sanctioning fee of $300(up to 50 teams) plus 12$ per team, and travel expenses for the reps. Over 50 teams has a higher fee i believe.

it can all be found in the sanctioning packet on the KCBS Website.

Considering that the sanctioning fees are paid by all teams as part of their entry fee can you really list sanctioning contests as a benefit of being a KCBS memeber? dont non members help support the sanctioning and also benfit from it? I guess they dont have to be excludsive benefits though...

I only keep my membership in KCBS because chicks dig it.

IMO, it mainly comes down to ensuring the integrity of a contest. I like the TOY race although I've yet to be in it for much more than a half year. I like the Bullsheet even though I know I can get most of that info online these days.

As for the hotel discounts and other foolish crap MMA is coming up with, that's a waste of time! Lots of organizations have hotel discounts plus there's AAA, Traveler's Advantage and the Entertainment Coupon book (which I have all three). I don't need no stinkin' hotel discount.

Considering that the sanctioning fees are paid by all teams as part of their entry fee can you really list sanctioning contests as a benefit of being a KCBS memeber? dont non members help support the sanctioning and also benfit from it? I guess they dont have to be excludsive benefits though...

I'm not sure where you are coming up with that assumption. At the Battle of the BBQ Brethren 100% of the entry fees went back to the teams as prizes. Not one penny went towards expenses of any sort. Maybe that's an anomaly, but I wouldn't assume that your entry covers that sanctioning fee.

Eric

I agree the benefits of being a KCBS member are for BBQ itself. For $35 is year, I'm not even expecting a coupon book. I want my funds to ensure that the KCBS remains true to its original intent, allowing everyone to be part of it.

I joined because I became a competitor and I felt it was in a barbequer's best interest to join.

seems like 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other...non member teams pay into a pool of money that is used for expense or prizes for everyone at an event.

But regardless of how that comp spent its money the funds for KCBS to sanction an event arent coming from dues, but rather the sanctioning fees.

Oh and we shouldnt even be having this conversation. Considering that MMA is a marketing agency they should have a nice list of benefits to membership, especially when you consider that they are getting a portion of the membership dues. Saying there is a hotel discount isnt enough...there should be a nice long list of benefits if you want someone to sign up. We shouldnt be trying to figure it out, KCBS should already know...

Back