• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

what are you cooking for new years day?????

Going to to keep it pretty for the party we are going to and just doing Moink Balls and Pig Candy....maybe some jalapeno chorizo poppers. I make those apps and I have my freinds convinced that it is a lot of work, but I do it becausse I know how much they enjoy them......:wink:

We are ordering a six foot hero, with sides, from a local deli.

No BBQ, sorry.

My plans are to eat, and get pretty farked up.

Happy New Years!

Bob

Cooking a lake trout along with a brisket. Also plan to do some sausages for snacking and some stuffed jalapenos, peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms.

27# turkey brined 3 days (the patio daddio way) some stuffing muffins, peas and prob a salad. Might also whip up a pumpkin cheesecake in an Oreo cookie pie crust.

Nine pound pork loin, but it's gonna have to be done inside due to bad weather. I was hoping to christen the new WSM 22, but temps in the upper 30s and high probablilty of precip put the kibosh on that. Oh, yeah - blackeyed peas, cabbage, broccoli/cauliflower w/cheese sauce, crescent rolls and red velvet cake for dessert along with all the leftover Christmas cookies, fudge, etc.

I've got a good sized pork loin to do also, but unlike Texas Turtle, in Michigan we cook outside all year around :), gonna be around 20 here, 6" of snow on the ground but the onyx oven will cruise thru that with no problem.
P.S., a patio umbrella on a stand works good to cover a wsm from the wet stuff!

I've got a recipe due for Hidden Valley on the 2nd, so I'll be cooking another pilot batch of my new Chicken-Broccoli Ranch-icott.

John

After tonights festivities it's all about getting protein, aspirin, fluids and carbs into the wreck that I call a body on New Years Day.

So, I'll be starting with a Full English breakfast at some point tomorrow afternoon....sausage, bacon, mushrooms, scrambled eggs (with chilli and cheese for me, plain for the Mrs.), grilled tomatoes, toast, beans, oven sauteed spuds and some black pudding for the Mrs. washed down with a good few pints of tea, some aspirin and some multi vitamins in the vain hope that they'll help me to be able to focus my eyes on something, anything.

Then, a bit later on, when I am lying on the settee feeling like the start of 2013 is in reality the end of the World; I'll have some ABTs that I have already cooked...possibly cold but I may venture back into the kitchen to warm them through.

I've got a big old bag of rib trimmings thawing that I'll smoke and use in a big old batch of chile verde.

Pulled pork sliders:

Pulled butt lightly sauced with SBR, plopped on those little, sweet Hawaiian rolls with a couple of pickle chips.

Beef ribs and pork loin along with the usual black eyes peas, collards and other veggies. That hop in Jon recipe sounds good too

Nothing for immediate consumption. I will be smoking about ten pounds of andouille and four pounds of Tasso.

Brisket and smoked beans for supper tomorrow and big 'ol pot of venison chili and cornbread for lunch. Temps are supposed to be in the single digits to low teens tomorrow so some bourbon will be in order to warm me from the inside out.

Last edited:
Nada - making a rib roast for tonight. Have some left over brisket... probably take it easy tomorrow.

I asked SWMBO and she said lamb. Chops? "Yes." So I'll be grilling. A couple minutes over some hot lump and it'll be done. And I really like grilled lamb. Now I just need to figure out what to make with it.

I have some little Yukon spuds and they're pretty good sliced about 1/2" thick and grilled. Maybe I'll pick up some broccoli to go with it.

Tonight I'm making some moinks for a party. (The meatballs are already thawing. :wink: )

Edit: I'm thinking about smoking a bunch of chickens to inaugurate my new (to me) WSM 22. But since I haven't explained that purchase to SWMBO, I might want to wait for a day when she's not around. In the mean time, I've tucked it in with the rest of the collection and as long as it doesn't make any sudden moves, she has not noticed it. :laugh:

Am I the only one cooking my meals today? I think I'll be too under the weather to do any cooking tomorrow. :heh:

Cold, nasty rainy day here & looks like a good day for chili & jalapeno cornbread with a Three Floyds Dreadnaught filling in for champagne.

Back