got my smoke on-brisket and beef ribs with pron

jlondon

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I just got my smoker going about 30 minutes ago, but its a small load.

First up is a trimmed second-cut brisket weighing in at 4.02 lbs. I put on a simple dalmation rub mixed with a tiny bit of cayenne. Next up is two beef ribs from the top-of-rib/flanken (1.37lb), and then 1.42lb of beef short ribs, both were rubbed with Bad Byron's Butt Rubb with a several heavy shakes of HotScotch (http://www.smws.co.uk/gifts/Hotscotch_Sauce.html) for some heat and intrigue.

Both are sitting in disposable pans, the brisket cause I'm mostly cooking this one for the juices so I can make another batch of BBQ sauce; the meat I'll turn into lovely burnt ends. The ribs cause I'm trying Ray Lopez's Beef Ribs recipe as recorded in Robb Walsh's "Legends of Texas Barbecue" cookbook. The meat went on at 300 temp, with a mix of lump hardwood charcoal, and chunks of hickory, white oak and with a smattering of apple wood chips (cause I ain't got chunks at the moment). Pics follow.

Attachments

• 4lb-second-cut-brisket-trimmed.jpg
    4lb-second-cut-brisket-trimmed.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 106
  • beef ribs-beef flanken.jpg
    beef ribs-beef flanken.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 107
  • brisket-beef-ribs-on-smoker.jpg
    brisket-beef-ribs-on-smoker.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 106
Nice. Do you use the bbq sauce you make just the one time, or do you somehow continue to use it later?

Nice. Do you use the bbq sauce you make just the one time, or do you somehow continue to use it later?

Its best after a couple of days of ripening, which is why I'm making it now (I'll be making a much larger brisket for next weekend), but I can use it for months.

MY RECIPE:
14 oz or so of ketchup
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup pure chili powder
2.5 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1.5 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup brisket drippings (depending on consistency/flavor)
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (OPTIONAL; depends on flavor of brisket drippings)
around 3 cups water

Mix everything together in a saucepan, bring to a rolling boil over high heat; then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered until it gets nice and thick; stirring to prevent sticking/scorching; roughly 20 minutes.

It is deliciously tart. Taste awesome immediately, ripens brilliantly over 2 or 3 days, and stays great for several months.

My beef ribs are done. Taste great, with nice subtle smoke. Super moist. I don't know if my crappy cell phone camera does it justice. I took a close-up of one of the thicker ribs which I sliced into with my knife just to demonstrate the moistness.

Attachments

• beef-ribs1.jpg
    beef-ribs1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 80
  • beef-ribs.jpg
    beef-ribs.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 79
  • beef ribs-closeup.jpg
    beef ribs-closeup.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 80
OK, so my plans shifted slightly. Instead of mostly brisket burnt ends, I decided just to slice it up -- it was just too damned moist and tasty. Pics follow (sorry again for the crappy cell-phone-camera quality -- makes the smoke ring look more brown than pink).

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 63
  • brisket-close-up.jpg
    brisket-close-up.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 63
  • brisket-smoke-ring.jpg
    brisket-smoke-ring.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 63
Back