MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

Default Tamale Pie

I had just a tad more turkey and ham leftover and dream up this tamale pie dish and cooked it without burning it. Cooked down with some bottled carribean sauce and kicked up it a bit with some hatch peppers for some heat, then of course more heat with some hot pepper sauce at the table. And then some pics of my poor wings and short ribs yesterday before they went the got they became embers. I was really just trying to do a test run to prove that the Stump's Platinum would cook just fine without using a Guru or Stoker. I guess I over did that and lesson was that I gotta remember to start cutting the bottom draft back a lot sooner than I did this time. Them poor unsuspecting wings was gonna be da bomb before I ruined them. I took that same bottled carribean sauce and mixed it 50 / 50 with buttermilk and marinated the wings for 4 hrs before breading them with Panko bread crumps that I added some crushed red pepper to they was really what I wanted to eat more than anything and of course short ribs is good even if they ain't got nothing on them, but not this time, burnt hard and black.

Blog - Carpet Capitol Living

Last edited by Greendriver; 12-03-2007 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: just because ha ha
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

That's looks pretty tasty.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks good. Did you use prepared masa or make some yourself?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

It was the standard masa mix that walmart has. tamales is not that hard but we're just not fond enough of em or want em that often so we don't do em very often and sometime this pie deal is a good fix if you do want some.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/2445.html

Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice groceries.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendriver View Post
It was the standard masa mix that walmart has. tamales is not that hard but we're just not fond enough of em or want em that often so we don't do em very often and sometime this pie deal is a good fix if you do want some.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/2445.html
I love 'em. I make about 10 dozen just for Christmas gifts.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I love 'em. I make about 10 dozen just for Christmas gifts.

Your a farkin factory. Cut down on your work though by making sure you are doing a cooker full of em and when you lean em up against each other they will hold together and stay together as long as the cooker is full and even if not you just have to add a ball of foil to make up the difference.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendriver View Post
Your a farkin factory. Cut down on your work though by making sure you are doing a cooker full of em and when you lean em up against each other they will hold together and stay together as long as the cooker is full and even if not you just have to add a ball of foil to make up the difference.

I'm on it bro. In the hour or so it takes to cook a steamer full, I can have another batch ready to load. I have used the foil trick, but a mason jar partially filled with water works good too.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

OT question: Why are tamales a traditional gift for Christmas? I've had some from an immigrant family before that were a gift, and then you reminded me about it. I'm just curious as to the tradition of it.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6Cop View Post
OT question: Why are tamales a traditional gift for Christmas? I've had some from an immigrant family before that were a gift, and then you reminded me about it. I'm just curious as to the tradition of it.
Uh....because they are already wrapped?? I don't know much about the history .... tamales are popular in not only Mexico but into central and south America. As universal as sausages in some cultures, tamales have been around for centuries.

I grew up in South Texas and they were just part of Christmas. My Granny's next door neighbor and a couple of other gals on the block would make them on Christmas eve. Something like 80 or 100 dozen. They don't have to be meat filling either. Last Christmas I swapped a couple of dozen of mine with a family that moved here from Mexico via LA. I got 12 dessert ones with sweet filling and 12 cheese and green pepper ones.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:47 PM   #11
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Looks like it needs some Fire Good!! Hot Sauce to me!!

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Uh....because they are already wrapped?? I don't know much about the history .... tamales are popular in not only Mexico but into central and south America. As universal as sausages in some cultures, tamales have been around for centuries.

I grew up in South Texas and they were just part of Christmas. My Granny's next door neighbor and a couple of other gals on the block would make them on Christmas eve. Something like 80 or 100 dozen. They don't have to be meat filling either. Last Christmas I swapped a couple of dozen of mine with a family that moved here from Mexico via LA. I got 12 dessert ones with sweet filling and 12 cheese and green pepper ones.

They are a Christmas Eve tradition mostly. Probably part of bringing the family together an all of that. Michael's teachers are from Mexico and so a lot of tamales at Christmas.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

my nephew married a gal from Mexico and when ever they are running short she will make a bunch and take to work and sell em for X amt per dozen. They even helped my Sis out when she was running short one time that way. Lot's of folks here in carpet country in the mills do that.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #14
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

How long and at what temp did you bake the Tamale Pie? I am going to put one together sometime soon. It sounds a lot easier than wrapping those puppies individually like last time.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #15
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

That all looks good enough to eat. I need to take some time and learn how to make those.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote