Tamale Pie

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This weekend's America's Test Kitchen episode had skillet pot pie (mine is better :wink: cause I use pie crusts and not biscuits :shock:) and tamale pie. Never made a tamale pie. Never had a tamale pie... until tonight.

• Saute one small onion, diced
  • Stir in two tablespoons of chili powder (New Mexico Hot compliments of Thirdeye)
  • Add one pound of ground beef, one can of diced tomatoes, one can of black beans rinsed and drained (wish I had some corn to add)
  • Let that simmer until beef is cooked through (its stewing more than browning)
  • Remove from heat and add one cup of cheddar cheese
  • Cover top with Jiffy corn bread/muffin mix according to the directions on the box.
  • Place in 350 oven on second to top rack for 12-14 minutes or until corn bread topping is done
Kids kinda picked at it, but Audrey and I loved it. She's a black bean fan. A keeper and way easier than pot pies. If it would have been just for me, I would have added jalapeños and a stronger chili powder. I could see adding brisket or pulled pork to this, too.

Attachments

• tamale pie 003 [640x480].JPG
    tamale pie 003 [640x480].JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 136
  • tamale pie 011 [640x480].JPG
    tamale pie 011 [640x480].JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 136
Quick and tasty, should have thrown in some fish sticks and you would have been a hero.

Funny you mention habanero hot sauce. I'm still battling through the first of several Hab Hot Sauces that Mista sent me in the Cinco de Mayo trade. Chit that stuff is strong!!! I'm 3/4 of the way through it, and I try to use it as often as I can.

Mista, that bottle of Salsa Encino is GONE. I LOVED that stuff. It got used on about everything.

That looked farking good Todd!
Time to go nuke a couple of hot dogs for supper.
Thanks. Thanks alot.

Mind if I dream about that tonight?

This my favorite hot sauce when it comes to habaneros.

34.jpg

Here's what I got from Mista. The chipotle is right up my alley!!! Half of that bottle is a serving.

I sent the hottest salsa in my arsenal, to Mista and he just laughed. He thought it was fairly mild. He's my hero. I just can't do the Habs like that... and I can do a fair amount of heat. Love the Hab flavor.

Attachments

• sauces 001 [640x480].JPG
    sauces 001 [640x480].JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 116
I made a Tamale Pie in my High School Home Ec. class in 1973, It was the only "A" I got that semester!

Brian

I luv tamale pie like that right there and that el yucateco (regular) is good chit to put on it.

That looks real good. Maybe I'll make some tonite. I also add a drained can of whole kernel corn when I make it.

That looks great!

Uh.....I'd like to know about the Frito pie.
jgh1204 I'll pay the nickle :wink:

Back