MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

Default LAke Placid

Here is a press release for the contest, I was interviewed last week. I don't remember saying what I was quoted, some was language that I wouldn't use. They now have 15 teams signed up, $7,500 payout for a $100 entry, pretty good bang for the buck

Barbeque Festivals Lip Smackin’ Good and Fun

The Lake Placid Olympic speedskating oval and the village of Lake Placid will be filled with the savory aroma of wood smoke and barbeque when barbeque teams from around the country come to Lake Placid, N.Y. to compete in the inaugural Lake Placid, NY—I Love Barbeque Festival (ILBBQF), July 3 and 4. Gates open each day at 10 a.m. and admission is $5.00 and children under 12 free.

The art of the barbeque is believed to have originated in the Caribbean where Indians used gratings of wood over a slow fire to cook their meat. It’s thought that the American barbeque began in the late-1880’s, during Western cattle drives, when cowboys began cooking tough and stringy meat like brisket, beef ribs, venison and even goat, for five to seven hours to tenderize it.

Barbequing has come a long way since its early days and is now thought to be summer’s right of passage. Three out of every four American homes own a grill, either gas or charcoal.

“I think that people are getting back to their roots, and this seems to be an extension of that,” said Richard Decker (Essex Junction, Vt.). Decker’s team, Lost Nation Smoke Company, will be competing in the two-day Lake Placid festival. “I think that people are spending more time outside whether it’s at the beach, spending time with the family or doing some gardening, barbequing and cooking outside seems to be a natural extension of that.”

There’s a difference between grilling and barbequing. Most people actually grill; which involves placing food directly over the heat, while barbequing involves slow-cooking meat at low temperature for a longer period of time, over wood or charcoal.

“When you’re grilling, you’re actually dealing with a better, leaner type of meat that can handle the higher temperatures and direct heat. Of course chicken, fish and burgers are the most popular items that people grill,” noted Decker. “When you’re barbequing, you’re dealing with a lower-end type of meat that needs to be cooked slower and at lower heat to make it taste good. By far, the most popular type of meat for this is ribs, but brisket and pork are also very popular.”

The growth an popularity has extended far beyond the backyard. Today, barbeque web sites receive thousands of hits each day and barbeque contests, tournaments and festivals are popping up across the country. The Kansas City Barbeque Society, alone, is sponsoring 170 tournaments nationwide this year.

“Don’t think for a moment that barbeque festivals have reached their peak, there’s still plenty of room for more,” remarked Decker. “These events are ideal family events, not only for those who attend the festival, but also for the teams… in fact my team is made up of my family. Husbands, wives and the whole family can come together and truly have a great time and most of these events feature music, games and rides for the kids. These events are really built for the family.”

Charitable and community organizations have taken notice of the popularity of barbeque festivals and have begun using them as a primary resource to raise money. Proceeds from the ILBBQF will benefit the Shipman Youth Center of Lake Placid.

“The youth center created an advisory council to find a signature event that would raise money for the organization,” mentioned Dmitry Feld, of the ILBBQF. “We realized that there were a number of golf tournaments in the area and felt that there was no room for another one, so we began looking at something new and unique and that’s when the barbeque festival began to take shape.”

Twenty-five teams from across the country will be coming to Lake Placid to compete for $7,500.00 in prize money in four different categories of beef brisket, chicken, pulled pork and pork ribs, but Feld doesn’t believe that teams are coming to the Olympic region just for the money. “Obviously, the area has something to do with bringing in the teams,” stated Feld. “The Kansas City Barbeque Society was immediately excited about having an event here, and word has just spread throughout the barbeque community about this event. A number of teams will be coming here to compete, but I’m sure that many will stay to vacation with their families.”

In addition to the prize money, the squads will also be competing for the title of festival grand champion, and who will be eligible to participate in the American Royal and Kansas City Barbeque national championship, held every year in Kansas City, Mo. This team could also qualify for the Jack Daniels World Barbeque Championships.

The ILBBQF will also feature food, music, children activities for the public and barbeque enthusiasts can also participate in food demonstrations with Food Network’s show host Jack McDavid, who co-hosts “Grillin’ & Chillin’” with Bobby Flay. Celebrities, including John Frank, a two-time NFL Super Bowl champion with the San Francisco 49ers, as well as a number of Olympic medalists will also be on hand to sign autographs and pose for pictures. “There’s going to be something for everyone,” said Feld. “There’s going to be great food, but the focus is on creating a fun family event that everyone can enjoy and want back for years to come.”

On Monday, July 3, gates will be open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., while on Tuesday, July 4, gates will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. For more information on the Lake Placid, NY—I Love Barbeque Festival, visit their web site, www.ILBBQF.com.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

Default Lake Placid pictures

Here is a Kodak link to a few from LP. The organizers couldn't have run a more cooker friendly contest. I'm already looking forward for next year but first I have Asbury Park in 2 days, I think I need to buy more meat.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...e&conn_speed=1

Old 07-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Rich,

I think we may do Lake Placid next year. Thanks for the photos! How did you do? Your turn in boxes look wonderful.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Lookie what I found!!
Hope I got the Brethren teams correct.
If not, holler and I will edit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds and looks like a great contest,
Congrats to all

TIM
----------------------------------
Grand Champion: I Smell Smoke
Reserve Champion: Seabrisket

Overall Rankings
1--I Smell Smoke
2--Seabrisket
3--Purple Turtle Catering
4--Hill Country BBQ
5--Lunchmeat
6--Lost Nation Smoke Company
7--The Bastey Boys
8--Little Rickey BBQ
9--Q Haven
19-Oompappy

Chicken
1--Seabrisket
2--The Bastey Boys
3--Hill Country BBQ
4--The Senator
5--Lost Nation Smoke Company
6--Purple Turtle Catering
7--Lunchmeat
8--Qkwannabee's
9--Q Haven
10-Down Home Barbecue

Ribs
1--I Smell Smoke
2--Lunchmeat
4--Seabrisket
5--Beef Rubbers
6--Oompappy
7--Q Haven
8--Little Rickey BBQ
9--Lost Nation Smoke Company
10-Hill Country BBQ

Pork
1--I Smell Smoke
2--Seabrisket
4--The Bastey Boys
5--Down Home Barbecue
6--Smokin Dog BBQ
7--Hill Country BBQ
8--Lunchmeat
9--Lost Nation Smoke Company
10-Qkwannabee's

Brisket
1--I Smell Smoke
2--Hill Country BBQ
4--Lunchmeat
5--Lost Nation Smoke Compan
6--Q Haven
7--Oompappy
8--Seabrisket
9--Little Rickey BBQ
10-Smokin Dog BBQ
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023

Last edited by The_Kapn; 07-05-2006 at 07:29 PM..
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Tim,

I Smell Smoke is a member here on the Brethren forum too (Yankee BBQ). Congrats to all!

Rod
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpellethead
Tim,

I Smell Smoke is a member here on the Brethren forum too (Yankee BBQ). Congrats to all!

Rod
Got it Rod.
They did "pretty good" too
How's that for "understatement" ?

Way to go guys and gals.

Did I miss anyone else????

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
Sawdustguy

Tim,

It will be a challenge for you at the Grill Kings contest because there will be 9 or 10 brethren teams participating.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 07-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #8
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Tim,

I appreciate what you do. You're on the list of reasons I read this forum. Nice job as usual.

Rod
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
BrooklynQ
Banned

Congrats guys. It sounds like Lake Placid is a not to be missed event for next year!
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2006, 07:04 AM   #10
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Is there a list of Brethren teams that are competing in Grill Kings ?
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #11
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Awesome results guys (and gal!) Congrats on a great showing!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #12
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ
Is there a list of Brethren teams that are competing in Grill Kings ?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18580

There are 38 teams so far. I think the 7th is the last day for registration.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 07-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I'm already registered. I'm bringing a special guest with me too
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #14
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks folks! Lake Placid is one of the good ones, fer sure. We are already planning on going back next year. Wonderful people, great venue (who else would get to camp out on the Olympic speed skating oval?) and the prizes (lotsa $$$) made it all worth the drive! I am pleased as punch with a 5th place overall considering we did it with a 670! Maybe it's the altitude talking, but damn that was a great contest! I am working on pictures as we speak. Best of luck with the Grill Kings everyone! I am wondering - do they still need judges? I may be able to make that trek. Does anyone know?

michelle
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2006, 08:17 AM   #15
Q Haven
is one Smokin' Farker

Q Haven is also a lurking member here.....

More pics from Lake Placid....

http://picasaweb.google.com/tedlorson/LakePlacid

Ted Lorson
Q Haven
Q Haven is offline   Reply With Quote