MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
jeepaholic
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Tri tip on U D S

Going to put a 2.5 pound Tri tip on the U.D.S. how about some tips from the p-nut gallery I like my meat about med well...Thanks in advance
jeepaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
raiderx
On the road to being a farker

Not sure the tri tip will come out all that well on the UDS. Tri tips are great for grilling. I did one Sunday on the Weber and gave it about 35 minutes for a 2 pounder. For a 2.5 pounder I wouldn't cook it much longer, maybe a couple of minutes. As always, temps will tell.

Tri tips are pretty lean, so if you smoke it you don't have a lot of fat to work with. Might just get dried out. Not saying it couldn't be done, but grilled the tri tip comes out perfect.
raiderx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
jeepaholic

ya I have cook many tips on the grill good stuff for sure I gust got the UDS finished so I'm looking for different things to smoke

Old 06-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
raiderx
On the road to being a farker

For your first smoke on a new UDS, make some fatties! If you're looking at a tri tip, I'm guessing you don't want to spend 8-10 hours this time. If time doesn't matter, get a pork butt too. I think it's Brethren rule that you have to have at least two fatties in the smoker.
raiderx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Med well?
Wouldn't jerky be cheaper? Lol
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
jeepaholic

Mmmm jerky...lol Got this from tops

Is that a 2.5 lbs with or without the fat cap? I typically remove the whole fat cap. and smoke it straight up with apple wood. I wouldn't go with anything more harsh than Oak wood.

Anyhow, for medium, take it the tri-tip to about 140-145 degrees, smoking between 230 - 250 degrees. If you peak at 170 or so, don't panic, just let the temp drop. It should only take 2.5 - 3 hours to get there.

If you want the tri-tip to be real tender (nice pull-apart) take it to 150-155 degrees. 3-3.5 hours is all it should take.

Keep your rub simple. I try not to put too much salt. Pepper, Kosher salt, and garlic make a nice tasting tri-tip.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
genbradly

Default In my humble opinion

I frequently cook tritips on my uds... Usually one of several things I'm cooking on any given Sunday afternoon so for me the UDS is already up and running (abts, fatties, ribs, etc). I marinate my tritip in olive oil and balsamic for 3-4 hours before cooking. I like to put Montreal(spelling?) Seasoning on it. Get a fresh chimney of charcoal going and get it as hot as possible and toss them in the weber. Sear both sides of the tri-tip for 2-5 mins(depending on how hot those coals are). Then stick a remote temp probe in it and toss it in the uds. Taking it to that perfect med rare takes 30-45 mins depending on how hot the drum is. I do tend to run my drum closer to 230-245 when doing this kind of cooking. I love the flavor and never run the risk of over cooking or burning the tri-tip.
genbradly is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
jeepaholic

Well I followed tops suggestion. put on some rub let it sit for a few hours then put it on the uds at 225 for about 2.5 hours untill it reached 160. pulled it off and let sit for a while that thing came out great. Oh and I smoked it with hickory...fruit wood is hard to find here in vegas..