Competiton Flavor Profiles

G

gjdad

To me one of the great things about BBQ is the individual expression of the cook/chef in the flavors. Has this been lost in competition? Is there a competition flavor profile? If so how would you describe the profile?

Personally I think allot of the teams are gearing to a hot and spicy finishing sauce, which in my opinion throws off most flavor profiles of the marinade and rubs used by teams and cooks. For me I like my marinade to complement my rub and my sauce to enhance the seasoned smoked meat of the flavor from the marinade and the rub I used. I have seen {again my opinion} that a team/cook will have a wonderful rub and or marinade that enhances the sweetness of the meat only to hide it under a super sweet sauce with a hot sauce base to offset the sweetness. So yes I believe (feel) that most teams tend to run with the herd of slopping a sweet spicy finishing sauce on. But there are some teams that are true to the craft the art and the love of the pit that have developed a balance of their marinade and rub and a complimenting finishing sauce for their meats, I like to think I fall into this category.
Hope this helps
RR
:thumb:

I would say there are flavor profiles that work and flavor profiles that dont work.
However, I dont know of any one profile that everyone adheres to or that works
in every case. Pretty much you want something that stands out (which means is
different than the other 5+- BBQ's located on your table that day), isn't too spicy/hot,
isn't too sweet, isn't too vinegary, etc. What might really turn on one person might
turn the next person off. You're trying to appeal to the masses, blindly.

You are right, in that extreme flavor profiles are lost (at least aren't winners) in this
approach.

Last edited:
To me one of the great things about BBQ is the individual expression of the cook/chef in the flavors. Has this been lost in competition? Is there a competition flavor profile? If so how would you describe the profile?
Dave - not sure how I would describe it but keep in mind you have to wow the judge in one or two bites vs a whole meal so seasonings and such are adjusted to compensate for that..many ways to reach that same goal

Dave - not sure how I would describe it but keep in mind you have to wow the judge in one or two bites vs a whole meal so seasonings and such are adjusted to compensate for that..many ways to reach that same goal

Thanks I begin to see the approach.

Thanks I begin to see the approach.
I couldn't have said it any better and that's the toughest part about competition cooking, not so much the overall taste profile but just that one bite. If a judge ate all that was put in front of them, they would be eating over 2.5 pounds of meat...

In this world, if you can get them to take a second bite, you've done well.

I'm not sure if I would call it a profile. I consider where I'm competing because the majority of the judges will be from the immediate area usually. Match the flavor profile of your rub with any marinade/injection/sauce/glaze you are using. Make sure it complements and not overwhelms the product. I'm looking for balance of flavor, appearance, mouth feel etc. Keep it simple. :thumb:

Keith

It's all about balance. If it's unbalanced, you'll be judged appropriately.

Back