PIG ROAST?...Can't Prove It!

Garyclaw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Future BIL has one every year. He uses the "Mexican Box".(I can never remember the name of it)
102_0794.jpg

Having some tech. difficuties for some reason so bear with me.

Any way, he said he put on a half of pig (98 lbs.) at 9am. WE got there about 2:30PM. No pig yet. His friend had some Thai marinted pork going on a grill though. It was very good
DANG! My Photobucket has some holes in it!!!

I'll try this later. Stay tuned.:rolleyes:

Can someone explain this to me. It looks like a wooden box with coals on the top only. You can actually roast a pig like that?

I've cooked 3 whole hogs this way.
A simple way to cook a whole hog.
The inside of the box is lined with sheet metal.
The bottom has 2 holes drilled through it for the runoff and a rack to keep the hog off the box floor.
The coals on top heat the iron lid and it spreads throughout the box.
Inefficient beyond belief, but the whole hog comes out real nice.
Took me about 12 hours last time for a 40# hog.
But I went through over 200#s of briquettes!!!
I recently did a 70# hog on a spit over a cheap 5 foot grill and it was awesome - just more labor intensive than the Mexi Box.
But with the fire below the animal like logic dictates, I only used 40#s of briquettes and was able to add smoke.
These Mexi Boxes are easy to make and they cook whole hogs very well.

Well let's see if this works now:
That Thai Pork:
102_0796.jpg

Walked around and talked to some people and watched some play Corn Hole:
102_0808.jpg

Still no pig. He did put some seasoned chickens on the rotate above the box:
102_0797.jpg

102_0800.jpg

That was pretty good too but, still no pig. Walked around and talked to somemore people and had a few beers:
102_0806.jpg

102_0807.jpg

Still no pig! Soooo, the neighbor was frying some Lake Erie Perch and I nibbled on some of that:
102_0805.jpg

Meanwhile the little box is still chugging away. The thermo was set for 170* but the temp in the shoulder was only around 140*.
So I talked to Howard the Wonder Dog for a while:
102_0809.jpg

Now it's getting to be around 8:30 pm and still NO PIG! I asked him if there really was a pig in that box.?? Others were asking too. I felt bad for him though. In previous years his pigs were done in around 6hrs. or so. We're now going on 12 hrs.!!!:tsk:
So after a few pops and some nibbles here and there, we had to go 'cause I had to get up early in the morning to go Perchin' on Lake Erie.
Come to find out that he finally pulled it off to rest at 9:30 pm! (so they told me) I cannot prove there was a pig in that box until I see pron of it and I get my promised plate of porks:heh:

Yes Guerry, It is a fuel hog as stated above. I'm not a big fan of this type of cooker and I'm partcial to the "fire under" method for its crispy skin and smoke flaver. The ones he did in the past were like.....baked pork.

I have been looking at this one. It has the heat under the pig and inside the box. I don't have anything to do with this other than I discovered it while doing some research..

http://www.asadorcubano.com/

This one ^^ might be worth it if your looking for a dedicated pig cooker. I like the way it cooks. Limited on the size of the hog though.

Back