Tips For Smoking Boneless chicken breasts

VoodoChild

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looking for Tips / Tricks on Smoking Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts......
Is this a Stupid thing to Do and I should Just do the whole bird or Use Bone in Skin On breasts...Or Just smoke skinless boneless real low heat for a Bit then finish in oven ???
I tried once ( around 250 for 1.5 hrs.)and it was a shoe !!!!!

Got hard on top and inside was good My wife got pissed That I wrecked it since she loves Smoked chicken !!! Me and the dogs enjoyed it anyway !!:drama:
:doh::doh::roll::shock::confused::tape:

Better to do at te least s bacon wrap if you must have boneless skinless. Even better yet is a whole bird or a bone in skin on breast. Without the skin the outside dries out and as you said, leather.

Funny, I was just looking through the archives for answers to the same question! Seems like the key thing is to not cook past 160 internal, and some folks reccommend rubbing with mayo to keep them moist. I've not really found the definitive method yet, though. My ex used to marinate in Italian dressing, and then I cooked them hot on the gasser and they came out pretty good! I'll be watching for the best method, though!

I did some for my wife on my uds and all I did was season them up and throw them on and smoked them at 250. It's been awhile but I think they went for about 1 1/2 hours . Mine came out incredible!! Thought they might be tough, but was completely the opposite.

brickie

I do this on occasion, making sure to brine them. I think they turn out just fine. I cook them to 165 IT.

I quit buying boneless, skinless chicken breast, just too dang much drying out. Buy it with the skin and bones and remove the skin before or after you smoke it, much easier.

I brine them overnight and cook to 160. I am amazed at the difference it makes in the texture, flavor and moistness of the finished product. For brine I use 1 cup of salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar and spices of choice.

+3 on the brine - I usually smoke 3-4 full packages of boneless skinless breasts at a time - brine for at least 8 hours, season, then low and slow until 160. Sliced and package for freezing. We then have approximately a months worth of chicken for stir fry, soups, chicken salad sammy's, cheater hot wings, etc.
They always turn out juicy and tasty.

If I have to I do them quick and hot and still come OK for salads etc....just seems no matter what the boneless breast is simply made for the crockpot.

:confused:

We eat them a couple times a week. throw them on the charcoal with a chunk of oak and cook them till the juices run clear.

Unless you over cook them they stay nice and moist. it's dark meat so it's still a bit fatty.

Cooking to long is your enemy.

I believe boneless, skinless, chicken breasts are much better grilled than smoked, and considering how little fat content they have, I would only cook them to an internal of 145*. Cooking them to 165* will only dry them out, in my humble opinion :becky:. I've cooked thousands this way for catering, and I always get compliments on them. People can't believe how moist and juicy they are.

I always cook them on a high heat grill, I don't think smoking is worth it.

I would rather buy a few chickens and half them for the smoker :thumb:

If your gonna smokem I'd have ta brine um, simple. 1 gallon water, 1 cup sugar, half cup koshar salt and your favorite rub. Leave overnite and smoke to 140 ish as there still gonna cook a little when pulled.

I know if I want a moist boneless chicken cooking outside I brine, then I fine! :thumb:

Thanks everyone for chiming in ......I think I got it Now ...All very good info ....Thanks again Mucho Appreciado From Phoenix,AZ !!!!:becky:

I have always done boneless skinless chicken breasts hot and fast to keep them moist and juicy. However, after reading this thread, I plan to try brining. It makes sense. I can't wait to give it a try -- but it will probably be after the holidays.

CD

Thanks everyone for chiming in ......I think I got it Now ...All very good info ....Thanks again Mucho Appreciado From Phoenix,AZ !!!!:becky:

HEY

Your not gonna make tacos out of these are ya? :becky: Also Webber makes a Takillya lime marinade that's fun to play wit also. Phark I'll bet it's nice and warm out there tonite, and this Christmas? :thumb:

I believe boneless, skinless, chicken breasts are much better grilled than smoked, and considering how little fat content they have, I would only cook them to an internal of 145*. Cooking them to 165* will only dry them out, in my humble opinion :becky:. I've cooked thousands this way for catering, and I always get compliments on them. People can't believe how moist and juicy they are.

I agree! I use mesquite chips ang get a great smoke flavor.

I did some for my wife on my uds and all I did was season them up and throw them on and smoked them at 250. It's been awhile but I think they went for about 1 1/2 hours . Mine came out incredible!! Thought they might be tough, but was completely the opposite.
brickie

I think part of the secret is the UDS.
When I smoke on my UDS it's kinda like a 'Hot,wet environment'.
Meats smoked on it are generally juicier.
I like to smoke bone in chicken at a hotter temp. and less time.
I like to marinate, apply a rub, and smoke around 275°.
(Gets done faster, doesn't dry out)

Last edited:
Back