MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
jvan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default question for uds guys from a newbie

i just built my first USD following norcoredneck plans. This morning i figured i would season it a maybe a cook a snap. Mainly i wanted to play with it and see how it maintanes a temp. Started this AM took 1hour to get to 220 degrees using kingsford charcol. I put on the 2 caps and left the valve open and check in a half an hour. my temp had dropped to 190. I have opened both caps again to bring temp back up. Do i need to install more vents on the bottom or just run with all the caps off?
jvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Mbrienzo
Found some matches.

You may not have started with enough lit coals.

I start with a half chimney and I'm at 275 in 10 minutes. I don't pour the chimney in until all coals are white.

My UDS is the same except for a stack was added. Before I had to run with 1 cap off and valve half open to maintain 275.
Mbrienzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

What procedure did you use for starting it? Almost sounds like not enough coals started at the beginning.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

run with the caps off and adjust with the valve. if it gets to warm put one cap on and adjust with the valve, etc. I like using lump in the uds. I have mine cruising at 250 with all the caps on and the 1" valve half open.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
jvan

i used a quater of a chimmny but i did not get let all the coals turn white. I just waited till it started and dumped it in. I also added a pic. thanks for the quick responses

Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

It takes a while to adjust temps. Open a cap and it might take 20-30 minutes to raise the temp.

Bob
Semper Fi

Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrienzo View Post
You may not have started with enough lit coals.

I start with a half chimney and I'm at 275 in 10 minutes. I don't pour the chimney in until all coals are white.

My UDS is the same except for a stack was added. Before I had to run with 1 cap off and valve half open to maintain 275.
This!!
Catch your temps on the way up. If you want to cook at 250 cap 1 at 200 cap 2 at 225 fine tune with the ball valve.

Don't go adj crazy give it time to respond between adj. ( Patience Grasshopper) average response is 15 min.

Be aware there is about a 50 degree difference between the center and the edge of the grate. Keep this in mind when dialing in the cook temp.

It will take a few runs to get the hang of it, but that is some good eats too. I promise you you won't go blind if you play with it on a regular basis but you may need new Trousers

Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

I use about half a chimney of lump or charcoal and use the Minion method of filling the basket. I use more wood probably than most about 5-6 fist size chunks. Light chimney let everything turn white and dump in the center of the basket. If Im cooking at 275 I start with all vents open and at 235 close one 255 close another. I then have two valves to control from there. I usually have both open all the way for 275. Valves are 3/4", black pipes are 3/4" 4 total. Look up the Minion method on the net, it changed everything for my UDS. I also use a perforated pizza pan on top of the basket it really helped even out the heat in the smoker. It still has the pit flavor the UDS are known for despite what people say. BTW I had the same thermometer as you have, you need to get it to the center of the grill for a better reading. The way you have that stuck in there your temps will be off by about 20* from my experience . Hope this helps

Old 03-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Norco's design had eight holes in the lid for exhaust, didn't it?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

All i know, is that i have two UDS's one with caps and ball valve, the other with door things. The one with caps and ball valve is much harder to get up towards 300. Still dont know why.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
jvan

yes he did have the 8 hole in the lid. I modified it to a stack.
a little update
well i opened the caps waited 30 mins. temps climbed to 240. put 1 cap back on temp climbed to 250 after 30 min. put second cap on temp drop to 240. just made my first stuffed fatty and put on. lets see how it does. drumsticks to follow!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice. It's gonna take you a couple test drives to get the hang of it. Try some lump if you can get your hands on some.

Bob
Semper Fi

Old 03-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
jvan

finished product!! It only use 1/4 basket. I am going to kep burn going to see how long it can maintain thanks for all the help

Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

It takes about six cooks on a UDS to settle down. Keep cooking fattys and butts to season it up and seal up any little air leaks around the intakes and bolt holes.

Go buy some bigger trousers now. I swear I gained 20 Lbs in six months after building my UDS.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Good luck. Looks like you figured it out.