MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
LostSoul
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Rusty UDS

Well it finally stopped raining and the Santa Ana winds stopped blowing so I figure its a good day to smoke some ribs. I walked outside only to find my BBQ cover had blown off the UDS. $ days of rain filled the bottom with about 4 inches of water. now theres some rust on the inside and the grills had some mold growing on them. I scrubbed everything up but the inside is still rust colored. Prob a dumb question but is the UDS ok to use?
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

Run a decent size fire in it, so burn off any mold that might still be left. Then wipe the drum out.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Run a decent size fire in it, so burn off any mold that might still be left. Then wipe the drum out.
What he said. Then cook some fatties to get it seasoned.

I used a bungee cord around for the first cover I had for my UDS, Now I use a Weber 26.5" cover which has these velcro tabs at the bottom which prevent it from sliding off in the wind. Has not blown yet.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
LostSoul
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks guys! Hot burn and cleanup complete. Now for some ribs! I usually do the 3-2-1 method but I think I will be lazy today and forget about the wrapping. From what I'v read they should be good to go in 3.5-4 hours at 275-300, right?
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

I like to have a can of Pam handy. They even make a BBQ grill Pam. Anyways you can spray a light coating on immediately after cleaning it. Load it up with some charcoal. Let it burn for a hour or two. Then throw some fatties on perhaps!