Off to a bad start

E

eleventhtoe

Well 6 hours into my cook I realized my lid probe is stuck at 225. I checked with a digital meat thermometer in the lid damper and low and behold 298.

What the temp of the meat and what are you cooking?

Well, at least you are doing butts. Dodged a bullet, pun fully intended.

those things are pretty forgiving, im sure they'll come out just fine.

I hope so, Weber customer support was nice they are shipping another probe for free.

Hate it when that happens. I'm gona buy one of those Maverick duel probe thermometers so i have a means to cross check. The fewer openings of the lid to manually probe the meat will be a plus.

Just means it'll be done faster. :-D

Well 6 hours into my cook I realized my lid probe is stuck at 225. I checked with a digital meat thermometer in the lid damper and low and behold 298.

Don't sweat it. That temp at the damper is gonna be several degrees higher than grate temp anyway.

These other guys are right too. Butts are forgiving. Just keep an eye on them and you'll be fine. I have 2 on right now and the temp is grate temp is swinging between 235-250 but my lid temp is showing a steady 295.

The Maverick ET-73 is a great thermometer.

Ok, I'm new here. How do you tell what your grate temp is? Will an ordinary oven thermometer work? Those Maverick thermometers do look pretty nice.

if you dont already own a dual probe maverick (or other) i highly recommend it. i think they help the cook immensly (more consistency less peeking). just make sure that you dont take the remote out of range as it will sit at the last temps it had recorded and the alarms will not sound if things go bad.

Your fine with the BUTT's, You can pull at 190-200*f and have pulled pork!

Ok, I'm new here. How do you tell what your grate temp is? Will an ordinary oven thermometer work? Those Maverick thermometers do look pretty nice.

I suppose that a oven thermometer would work, but probally get too dirty to read really fast. to get your grate temp, just stick a probe in a potato and stick it on the grate. I also use to use a cork from a wine bottle, I carefully drilled a hole in it, stuck the probe in it and it rested between the rods on the grate perfectly.

jimmyinsd said:
if you dont already own a dual probe maverick (or other) i highly recommend it. i think they help the cook immensly (more consistency less peeking). just make sure that you dont take the remote out of range as it will sit at the last temps it had recorded and the alarms will not sound if things go bad.

That's the big downside to the maverick imho. I wish an alarm would sound or something when you move out of range, instead of sitting there on the last temps registered. But other than that I love my maverick.

Well I just pulled them at 190 and they are perfect thanks for all the advice I will definitly pick up a maverick probe to prevent this in the future.

Back