Sneak Peek- Cajun Bandit Mini! Smokey Joe conversion

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I had heard for months now that there was going to be a Mini Cajun Bandit conversion for the Weber Smokey Joe and while Left Hand Smoke was competing at the Jack we got a surprise visit from the C&C Grilling Co. crew.
Chris Byrd and Chris Perres presented a prototype of the Mini for me to test drive!

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

I have done a little tweaking to it and added a handle on the vent, temporary thermometer in the lid vent, and I'm tempted to mount a thermometer at the grate level above the door using the thermo mount from a Genesis grill. My thinking is it can double as the grate thermo, or remote probe access. We'll see?

IMG_2794.jpg

The conversion is solid with rolled edges, fits securely, the charcoal grate fits inside the ring on tabs. Stainless steel waterpan, 2 grate levels.
I replaced the wing nuts that secure the legs with bolts for peace of mind.

First cook tonight! I have a spatchcocked chicken marinating, and possibly some thighs. Stay tuned!

I had heard for months now that there was going to be a Mini Cajun Bandit conversion for the Weber Smokey Joe and while Left Hand Smoke was competing at the Jack we got a surprise visit from the C&C Grilling Co. crew.
Chris Byrd and Chris Perres presented a prototype of the Mini for me to test drive!

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

I have done a little tweaking to it and added a handle on the vent, temporary thermometer in the lid vent, and I'm tempted to mount a thermometer at the grate level above the door using the thermo mount from a Genesis grill. My thinking is it can double as the grate thermo, or remote probe access. We'll see?

IMG_2794.jpg

The conversion is solid with rolled edges, fits securely, the charcoal grate fits inside the ring on tabs. Stainless steel waterpan, 2 grate levels.
I replaced the wing nuts that secure the legs with bolts for peace of mind.

First cook tonight! I have a spatchcocked chicken marinating, and possibly some thighs. Stay tuned!

Looks good Brian!! Maybe we can arrange a side by side cook with our smoker joe/tamale steamer mod!! :-D

Did I mention I'm free for dinner tonight! :wink:

I made a miniWSM using an aluminum tamale pot that fits perfectly in my Smoky Joe. I don't have the water pan or access door that the Cajun Bandit model provides.

It's a great tailgating machine. I have done a whole spatchcocked chicken on it, a couple dozen moinks and a some ABTs (not at the same time obviously). It's good low and slow or high heat. A fun addition to the portfolio.

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

I enjoy the homemade version but I have some products from Cajun Bandit for my kettle and I would look really hard at anything they have to offer. Glad to hear it's available.

I want one too, and I want it before Larry gets it. I know that won't happen.

That is just too dang cool. I will have one too:thumb:

:wink:
I made a miniWSM using an aluminum tamale pot that fits perfectly in my Smoky Joe. I don't have the water pan or access door that the Cajun Bandit model provides.

It's a great tailgating machine. I have done a whole spatchcocked chicken on it, a couple dozen moinks and a some ABTs (not at the same time obviously). It's good low and slow or high heat. A fun addition to the portfolio.

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

I enjoy the homemade version but I have some products from Cajun Bandit for my kettle and I would look really hard at anything they have to offer. Glad to hear it's available.

We've got the homemade version also...8 year-old daughter and i have used it in competition several times. Gets used a lot for shorter cooks for the family...it's becoming the go to cooker at our house.

I'm anxious to get over to swamprb's and check out the Cajun Bandit version. I do like the door idea...the tamale pot lifts off when adding coals/smoking wood (but I'm never happy looking for a place to set the hot, dripping, pot while making additions). Want to see the water pan up close also...using a clay flower pot base currently.

Sure hope Swamp invites me over to play soon! :wink:

Looks awesome Brian!

Ive been using my 15 gal drum modded one (think you saw it in yakima...) for 6 months or so and really like it! I built it for camping since I always take the SJ anyways, now I can toss a butt on there while off playing too!

Im interested in what you get for burn times, with 1 fully lit chimney I can get a little over 5 hours @ 250°. I haven't made a charcoal basket of any sort for mine, I just use the regular grate.

Look forward to pics of your cook!

I like this alot! Been thinking about making something like this for a while now, glad to see someone might soon be commercially producing it.

I gotta get me one of those too. I fire up my 18" WSM all the time for small cooks, it would be so much easier with a smaller unit. This would be perfect!

Now that you mention it, yes. One with poorly placed lower vents, but a lid that would fit properly when used as a grill...

Back