MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #31
afreemaniii
Full Fledged Farker

The Salt Lick Steak -- 1:47 in -- just Wow!

I like the prime rib video too. Might have to give that a try this Christmas.

Gear:
1-BWS Party
1-22.5" WSM
Guru Pitminder and Stoker system
afreemaniii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #32
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is a great looking steak dinner. I happen to like steak houses, as long as I am not paying. Until recently, they could get better steaks than I could. That being said, when I can get the prime and choice steaks I have seen lately, I do like controlling the fire myself. (freaking out at pan fried steak!!!) I happen to like cooking the steak over an extremely hot fire, maybe even over the top of the charcoal lighter, to get that char on the outside.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #33
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

The boy should be eyeing your mothers steak,there is no way she ate all that.
I am sure we all had trips to the car.I refuse to order steak out,why when I can cook one better than them.I have a new butcher that has all natural black angus beef that is to die for.Every Saturday 30 min before the market closes he sells everything for $5.99 a lb.When you buy beef like that it makes me look like a chef.
HAPPY B Day Donnie.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #34
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Talking

great looking food there partner! I frequent the main three (Ruth, Mortons, and Flemmings) for work on a regular basis and generally like them (not so much for Flemmings), but I am usually having someone else pay, so that makes it all the better, but generally speaking, I like mine at home on the Primo and lump coal a bit better (assuming I am starting with quality meat!). I do have to disagree with you on the grill vs pan fried...you can sear and carmelize (ala pittsburgh black and blue steak) on a ceramic cooker and lump coal at 1000 degrees plus quite well
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #35
JD McGee

Major League Awesome Bro!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #36
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm with you Pops, I'd take my ribeyes over just about any steakhouse in my area, and Atlanta has some good ones. I hit them with some kosher salt, cracked black pepper, little bit of onion and garlic powder then a heavy dose of fresh ground ancho chili powder. Sear it over a fire as hot as I can get it, then off to a cooler spot till done. About $7.00 a steak bought from Costco.
Great pics bro, love the pic of the little one eyeing the steak!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #37
NorthwestBBQ

Sweet meat!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #38
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E Que View Post
When meat is dry aged, it loses moisture, but the flavours concentrate, and the enzymes help tenderize better as well.

just my $0.02

Wet aging does exactly the same thing with out the waste...To each his own.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #39
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Wet aging does exactly the same thing with out the waste...To each his own.
Except what you actually claim. I am not knocking wet aging, its just not the same as dry aging (which you cannot use at competitions). It is different, it is a superior standard for, in fact, many large cuts.

I am not knocking you personally Bently, I would mention your legs if I were.

Just please, let's not at all create the mistaken impression that the age old technique of dry aging meats is the same as wet aging (which is okay) which according to LSU, University of Texas, and Texas A and M, originates as far back as.... uh.... vac packs.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #40
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
great looking food there partner! I frequent the main three (Ruth, Mortons, and Flemmings) for work on a regular basis and generally like them (not so much for Flemmings), but I am usually having someone else pay, so that makes it all the better, but generally speaking, I like mine at home on the Primo and lump coal a bit better (assuming I am starting with quality meat!). I do have to disagree with you on the grill vs pan fried...you can sear and carmelize (ala pittsburgh black and blue steak) on a ceramic cooker and lump coal at 1000 degrees plus quite well

Well here we go.

Although I am cool with you liking a grilled steak over a pan seared and caramelized one, the process of true carmelization will not occur in your apparatus unless you have something to entirely flat cook it on.

The carmelization will ONLY happen WITH MEAT where the grate meets the meat. A different process entirely happens in pan with a rib eye specifically as even when lain in a naked pan will render enough juices and fat to continue to carmelize with the meat, blood and proper spices. This DOES not efficiently happen on any type of grate.

Lately people have incorrectly been calling certain terms "carmelization" and abusing the term more than the Neeleys use the term "balance."

Just to head you off, no wikipedia or other online cooking source need be submitted. They are simply wrong and can be met evenly with other defs to the contrary.

Should anyone want to personally meet me to disprove this YOU can buy the meat and I will supply the pan and the heat and I will carmelize a steak for you in a pan (or even a wad of ground meat) while you try to carmelize a steak or burger for me on a Grate and then you will know the difference.

Bark is not carmelization by the way.

So to be sure I don't want any of you pro Maillard Browning WHACK jobs to go about corrupting the free pyrolysis groups that farking founded this farking country! We are not promoting extreme pyrolysis of sugars like you guys are saying at all the town hall meetings. That would be farking carbonization.... which is partly what is happening BETWEEN all the grate marks on your flame kist steak! Unless you get the fire right then that is not happening. No! We stand for simple controled pyrolysis of sugars that occur when a steak is face down on a flat surface and the heat is partially controlled by the mass of cooler meat above it.

Gad darnit I want my farking country back! You Maillard believers that CONFUSE that reaction with carmelization.... why don't you go somwhere else.... trying to pass off lies that a piece of toast in a toaster is the same as a piece of toast lain down in meat dripping in a pan. People should bring their firearms too to kitchens all across america so we can stamp out this scourge!

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 09-02-2009 at 02:12 AM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 AM   #41
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by afreemaniii View Post
The Salt Lick Steak -- 1:47 in -- just Wow!

I like the prime rib video too. Might have to give that a try this Christmas.
I believe in my heart Kick ass BBq makes the best looking Prime rib I have ever seen this side of the pond.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #42
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Good Mooooornin'

Old 09-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #43
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Except what you actually claim. I am not knocking wet aging, its just not the same as dry aging (which you cannot use at competitions). It is different, it is a superior standard for, in fact, many large cuts.

I am not knocking you personally Bently, I would mention your legs if I were.

Just please, let's not at all create the mistaken impression that the age old technique of dry aging meats is the same as wet aging (which is okay) which according to LSU, University of Texas, and Texas A and M, originates as far back as.... uh.... vac packs.
OK, lets see if one of us can make this a “learning” moment, not saying which one right now.

Aging increases tenderness, I think we would both agree on that. I know you are a learned man when it comes to things like this so I will ask you if you agree that during the aging process certain changes take place in portions of the structure of collagen and muscle fibers?

If this is an enzymatic-caused change, does it matter if it is done in an anaerobic or an aerobic environment? My contention is no, it is that enzymatic-caused change in the structure of muscle fibers that are largely responsible for the increase in tenderness.

Flavor you say! Why yes I do, and this is where I believe we will diverge in our philosophies. Dry aging is going to produce that, well as others have put it “Musky” flavor, others will say that it is just a more intense flavor, Huza, have it your way this is America Damit! Personally if I want that I will pick up some 3 day old roadkill as I come home from work. I believe your Dry aging is more susceptible to your meat picking up more “off” flavors as well. This is where it becomes a matter of personal preference. I like mine wet aged, I believe the good literally outweighs the bad, pun intended!

As I see it, dry aging or wet aging is the reduction of moisture in the meat resulting in that enzymatic change and enhancement. Unless some Dry aging fairies come out that I am not aware of and do something to the meat when it is sitting on a shelf, I will need you to help me see why I would want to waste that 25-30% of my precious meat! I believe there are a few steakhouses in Chicago that will beg to differ with you too! I have no empirical date to back it up, but I believe someone was wet aging before the Cryo era.

In closing I will take my personal shot at you for the leg comment …after all this time reading your posts I though you were a forward thinking, not a knuckle-dragging go along with the main stream, will believe anything I read kind of guy, somewhat disaapointing! ...and my legs and teeth are the best parts of me!

I look forward to your observations of my analysis and pointing out the deficiencies!

Edit: What would make you think you could not dry age a piece of meat for a competition?
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #44
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Here is my response.

Holding fingers in ear....

la de dah dah dee dahh la dee dah

I think the length of time to formulate a response is testament to how hard it is to find anything credible to agree with your position.

Next up... Boiling and foiling and how they are the same thing.

No really bently I see your point but you are making more of point that you prefer it personally and I am just saying they are not the same thing. If they were... you and I would like each equally.

I miss that video of the sirloin, they did cut off quite a lot of mold. There something wrong with ur legs?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #45
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh View Post
Nice pron funk!
Who needs restaurants?

Paul
You need them to remind you why you cook at home
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote