MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
Pantseatflyer
Got Wood.

Default UDS Pork Butt Advice

Big challenge for me this weekend.

Cooking for 25 people and wish to give pork butts a try on the UDS.

From my research, season with rub well. Cook at 225 or so till the internal temp hits 190 to 200 and probe or ice pick slide in like butter. Remove from grill, wrap in foil and place in ice chest until ready to pull..

My question is how many butts am I going to need and will multiple butts on the UDS finish at fairly the same time? I understand that different cuts of meat will finish at different times because of fat content etc...

I guess I am answering my own questions... Just a little nervous since all I have cooked on the UDS are ribs, MOINKS and ABT's.

Dinner time is 6 p.m. on the 4th. What is a good time to start them? Don't want folks to wait.

Thanks for all tips and suggestions. I promise pron will follow!
Pantseatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Buy two butts, and freeze the leftovers. If you want to serve at 6 pm, I would suggest cooking all night Fri night and coolering when done. That way, you won't have to stress over the food, and enjoy your holiday. I know what you're thinking, and yes, the pork will stay warm enough if you cover with some old blankets or towels.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
DFW Big Tex
Got Wood.

Default I woud do 3 Eight lbs butts

Hi I did two butts last week and found the advise below from the Webber site to be dead on. I host some big eating folks at my table and although two butts would have barely got the job done. Three made me rest easy.

Pork Butt Yield

When you take into account trimming the fat before cooking, the shrinkage that occurs during cooking, and some waste when pulling the meat, you'll end up with a 40-60% yield of edible meat from an untrimmed pork butt. For example, an 8-pound untrimmed pork butt will yield 3-5 pounds of edible meat.

If you're cooking pork butt for a group, figure 4-6 ounces of meat per sandwich. Assuming a 50% yield, an 8-pound untrimmed pork butt will yield 16 4-ounce sandwiches or almost 11 6-ounce sandwiches.
DFW Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2009, 02:48 AM   #4
keale
Babbling Farker

I would do 4, send one to me! HA! Someone had to say it!
Ok, no probs on doing 2-3 butts on the UDS...you have a 2 rack UDS? Just remember to leave space in between the butts for air flow. Expect a lower temp. because of excess condensation.
hope it all works out!
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

1lb of cooked pork to feed 3 people, plus 10%. I would have a goal of 10lbs of cooked meat and that will cover 30 people in case a few extra show up. to get 10lbs of cooked meat I would start with 20lbs of raw pork. average weight of 7 1/2lbs per butt I would go with 4 butts. I would get them done several hours before you want to eat and get them in a cooler, a lot of magic happens when they are resting in a cooler. Shoot to pull them off the cooker at 195. If you are running out of time because they are cooking too slow you can wrap them in foil and it will speed up the process but most cookers you could figure 12-14 hours of cook time at 225 degrees. I would start them about 1am and get them done between 1-3pm and rest them in a cooler until 6pm, they can stay wrapped in a cooler for a long time just make sure in temp in the cooler stays above 145 degrees. Good Luck!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

225 is a very low temp for smoking butts. While I do like low and slow, butts get very smokey and still take a very long time to cook when temps average between 250and 260

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Nothing wrong with that Cliff, you can shave some cook time off for sure. When I'm laid back I set my Maverick low temp 225 and hi temp 265, and as long as it is in that range I am happy. If you are using wood only yes it will get very smokey. I blend with charcoal and it keeps from getting too smokey. What would your cook time be at a straight 265 temp on this Cliff? About 8 hours?