MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Hot Springs Babybacks

Three of my buds and I went on an 800-mile moto ride this weekend and one of the places we stopped was Hot Springs, Arkansas. We needed to stretch and get some grub so we pulled up to the Long Shot Saloon, across from the Oaklawn Jockey Club, near downtown. It was one of those dives full of pit-stopping bikers that makes you go, "Hmmm", but it taught me (again) that I shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

The first thing I asked about was what they had on draft, behind the bar.
"Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Light, and Fat Tire."

<my eyes cross>

"Umm, what was that last?"

"Fat Tire."

Holy crap. We don't get New Belgium's Fat Tire in Oklahoma at all, and finding it there was incredible. Then it turned out they only charged $2.50 a glass. Woo-hoo!

The best part was the Q. They had a small menu dedicated to smoked meat so I picked that up and left the regular food for other people. ;)

She (owner's mom and very sweet) was standing there, ready to take our orders so I made a quick decision: a half-rack of BB ribs for $12. It came with beans and fries on the side.

When it arrived I wondered what a full rack looked like 'cause I saw seven rib bones in that pile of pig! The beans were cooked with green and red chilis (not real spicy, tho) and onions and they were real fine. The fries were fries, but the ribs were huge and meaty and had just a little sauce on them. There was a cup of sauce on the side, too. And the sauce? Mustard-based! And man was it good - not that the meat needed it, but the fries benfitted greatly. :)

The ribs had that backyard flavor that you can't find when you eat commercially cooked ribs. You know what I mean. Just a little edge to the hickory sweetness. They were done to perfection like I've never been able to do: a big mouthful of pork, a little tug, and it was clean to the bone without pulling all the rest of the meat with it. Oh man. The little bit of sauce that was drizzled on the meat in the kitchen was perfect. The bark was crunchy without being too dry, and the rub was just a tickle of spices.

I wish the place was just around corner, let me tell you....

So, if you find yourself with a growling belly and you're near Hot Springs, check 'em out!

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Great review. Thanks. Darn near worth the trip or at least worth a big detour sounds like.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
BBQ Grail

I'm stopping there the next time (well first time) I get to Hot Springs.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Hot Springs is a great town. I went to college (briefly) in Arkadelphia about 30 mi south. Partied like a rockstar (note briefly above)

Oktoberfest is your chance to sample some great beers at the clubs too.

http://www.hotsprings.org/festivals_...type=Festivals

Horse racing at Oaklawn is great. The best corned beef sandwich I ever ate was from a vendor at Oaklawn.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
Rightstuff
is one Smokin' Farker

I was a Flight Instructor in Texas. I use to take my students to Hot Springs for their cross-country flight. I've eaten in this joint a few times and its well worth a visit if your in the area (heck you might even bump into Bill Clinton). Didn't know they had Fat Tire, its very hard to find in Georgia.
Rightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
Norcoredneck

No pics, didn't ......

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote