Getting a new toy

Q

Que'inKC

OK so I've finally made my decision...I'm getting a Backwoods Party!!! yeah...

KC_Bobby helped seal the deal, so coodo's to him...

I thank everyone that has answered my questions on the various smokers I have been thinking about...I think the Party will do everything I need it to do (at least for this year :)

This weekend will be the first smoke...I'll send pron when I have them...

When you picking it up? GET THE HEAT DIVERTER for the extra few dollars.

Tell Jim and/or Bob I sent ya.

Congrats and good luck with your new Backwoods

Dang it...Just talked to Bob and can't get it until next Wednesday...

Oh well I'll have to suffer until then...It's not like I don't have another smoker to smoke on...:)

Great folks there at BWS. Dragged my Fatboy down to Dixie, LA yesterday. Mike removed the hide setter and installed a heat diverter. It was terribly tempting with all those bright shinny new smokers sitting there, but I managed not to buy yet another smoker.
You will love the smoker.

Fred what was the advantage of getting rid of the hide setter? I have one in my Competitor and I like to open it up to help get it up to temp faster, then closing it up. Did you find that items directly over it cooked faster since it has no water barrier there? I've wondered about that and have avoided putting anything directly over it on the bottom shelf. Since I generally do not have the Competitor full when using it, I cover the bottom rack with foil thinking that might help spread any hot spot that may exist there. A pizza stone would probably be a better idea.

I know some opened it to crisp their chicken skin. But I just never found it useful and decided to get it out of the way. It was a pain to clean around.

I am actually thinking of switching gears on cookers too.
May have too put Big Red on Craigs List so I can get some new toys.

Congrads on the new Party they are great smokers. The BWS brethern clan keeps on growing, I love it!

The heat divertor is totally worth getting as KCBobby mentioned and really makes the difference for long cooks. One tip I learned with on using it on my party is that if you slide it out when prewarming the cooker it will decrease your wait time for putting food on. I usually take mine out before I put the charcoal basket in and after the cooker has been at temp for a while I slide her and watch the temps until she gets to at least 225F at which point the food goes in.

Last edited:
Great Choice, the Party is a great cooker, looking forward to seeing the pics of the maiden voyage!!

Back