Need new turkey ideas

GT-Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been making spatchcock turkeys for the last few years. I've been using brines (at first I used Hound's Brine, and later I used a brown sugar brine). They're delicious and look good, but I'm bored with it. I need a new idea. What have you done with turkey that is spectacular?

Brine it then Fry it :becky:. By far my favorite way to eat turkey. I actually want to do a smoke then fry combo and see how it turns out.

Experiment with a different brine....smoke high heat for a different look but still spatch and smoke. Catch the drippings and make some tasty gravy. You can't mess with something soooo good!

I posted about this on another thread, the turkey really comes out different, everyone loves it but not for thanksgiving as they prefer the typical bird.
Put your turkey in a turkey size aluminum pan, Pour in 1 lg can of pineapple juice, 1 can beer, some sliced up apples, pears, oranges around and inside the bird. Thru out the cook, add beer or water, no more pineapple juice just to keep fluid in the bottom of the pan so it doesn't burn thru.
Put this directly on a full bed of hot coals, not on the grate. It will rumble and make noise ( amazes folks that it works).
Cook till done. Super moist, mild fruity flavor.
Depending on the day, doing this in a weber, a few times I have had to add coals, sometimes not. All vents full open.

Brining a whole bird in the Traditional sense is a Royal PIA. The last 6 yrs I have changed up my game and I now use this method it also makes some amazing chicken. This year I will be cooking it in a Trash can.

Salt-Roasted Turkey with Lemon and Oregano

Rub:
  • 1/3 cup coarse kosher salt (preferably Diamond Crystal brand)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
For salt rub:
Mix all ingredients in small bowl.
Stock:

• 3 lemons corsley chopped
  • 2 stalks celery chopped
  • 1 onion
  • 2 tbl chopped fresh oregano
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh tyme
  • 2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil divided
  • 6 tbl fresh lemon juice
  • 31.5-4 cups low sodium chicken stock
For turkey:
Rinse turkey. Pull out metal insert that holds legs and remove fat pads from neck and main cavities. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons salt rub inside cavities. Slide bird into turkey-size oven bag. Sprinkle remaining salt rub over bird. Close bag; place on rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate turkey 18 to 24 hours.
To roast turkey:
Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 350°F. Place rack in large roasting pan. Rinse turkey; pat dry. Combine lemons, next 6 ingredients, 1/4 cup oil, and 3 tablespoons lemon juice in large bowl; spoon into main cavity. Whisk remaining oil and lemon juice in small bowl. Tuck wing tips under; tie legs loosely. Place turkey on rack; brush with some lemon oil.
Pour 2 cups stock into roasting pan. Roast turkey 1 hour. Brush all over with remaining lemon oil. Roast turkey 45 minutes; pour 1 cup stock into pan. Roast 45 minutes; add 1/2 cup to 11/2 cups stock to pan to maintain liquid level. Turn pan around. Roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°F, about 45 minutes longer. Transfer turkey to platter; reserve pan with juices. Tent turkey loosely with foil; let rest 30 to 45 minutes (internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees).
While turkey rests, prepare gravy.

Back