• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question about doing a pork butt, backwards.

Dadeo719

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So here's my challenge. Wife is gone and I have the little guy. Want to do my 8# butt but know I won't have time during the day to tend to the grill like I would need to. I know some people cheat after the first few hours and finish in the oven. My question is can I do it backwards and start in the oven and then finish with the smoke when she gets home later this afternoon?

You can but the results would not be the same. The butt will pull most of the smoke flavor as it ramps up to 140-160 depending on who ya talk to.

Better off starting on smoker and move to the oven.

Never did it that way, but have done the oven after the smoke. My thoughts would be that the smoke would not have the same or any effect on the final product. All you can do is try though.

Yeppers that's what im doing. Just trying. It started to rain here anyway so maybe its a sign. Guess I could throw a couple chunks of wood in the oven...Should be able to air out the house by the time she gets home. LOL. I'll keep you all updated.

Guess I could throw a couple chunks of wood in the oven...Should be able to air out the house by the time she gets home.

I'd seriously rethink that idea, waiting on the update..........

Walter Jeton was the Pit master for many a presidential BBQ back in LBJ's day. He use to cook his briskets in DO's the finish on the pit. My Grand daddy said it was some of the best he ever ate.

Update...

So after 7 hours in the oven going to do a 2 hour smoke to see what happens. Probably get kicked out of the Brethren for this but I found some sides to go along with it too. Maybe I should enter that Throw Down thing after all. :thumb:

Last edited:
Walter Jeton was the Pit master for many a presidential BBQ back in LBJ's day. He use to cook his briskets in DO's the finish on the pit. My Grand daddy said it was some of the best he ever ate.

Right you are, my parents and grandparents were big Democratic supporters, and Texas ranchers to boot. Those Jetton barbecues were something else.

So after 7 hours in the oven going to do a 2 hour smoke to see what happens. Probably get kicked out of the Brethren for this but I found some sides to go along with it too. Maybe I should enter that Throw Down thing after all. :thumb:

Heheheee, You won't get kicked out of anywhere. You improvised. Smoke rings form early on, then stop at 140° or so. Smoke flavor comes on all during the cook. I've taken trays of pulled pork and returned it to a low temp smoker and can a nice flavor on it.

Thanks for the pep rally we will see. LOL. Some great things were born outa necessity.

Great beans, and mac & cheese don't come from cans & boxes:tsk:

Final score: definitely not as good probably as yours I'll have to admit this time. Didn't get a good bark as I like. Texture alil off. But taste is great. Still has some smokiness to it. Will be making some BBQ Pork Pizzas tomorrow for sure. Overall under the same circumstances I'd do it again.

Last edited:
I think the key here is your using it as a pizza topping in a future meal & not ordering pizza for tonights dinner:thumb:

I'd add a smoker to your arsenal that doesn't need any tending. It's nice having the option to put your meat in just like you would an oven and walk way until it's done.

Back