MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Temp control for weber charcoal grill

Hi all
I'm brand new here. I have been looking around the site for temp control for a 22 inch Weber grill. I haven't found it. I hope that you don't mind this question. Please point me in the right direction if this has been asked hundreds of times before.

I use the Raichlen method for indirect cooking. I have the two side baskets that I fill with hot coals and soaked wood. I use the top and bottom vents to try to control the temp. I just bought the wireless Maverick thermometer (but haven't used it yet).

My question:

How should I be adding new coals? Should they be lit or unlit. My current charcoal of choice is Royal Lump.

At what temp should I add the new fuel? Raichlen says every hour but that seems to me to produce too hot a cooking temp (I have been using a magnetic thermometer on the outside of the weber.

Hope you don't mind the extremem newbie questions.

Thanks

Mark
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here is one link to start you out.
Weber Kettle, low-n-slow, let's see your setup
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=129246

Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Smokin the good stuff
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I am quite the newb to cooking but I have done ribs and 2 trimmed briskets (7lb ers) on my 22.5" weber kettle. I didn't use the charcoal baskets and bought the cooking grate that has the two hinges sides. I bought the weber disposable drip pans (smaller ones) and used two them filled with water over the coals (helps to bend in the corners so they conform to the grill a little better. I left the top vent 100% open and found that after about 45 minutes to let the temp die down I was able to maintain 225-235 degress with the bottom vent open 1/16" to 1/8", I was surprised at how little the vent was open. I also have the maverick digital temperature gauge and once the temp would keep dropping after opening the vent a little I would fire up the chimney and use tongs to throw in some more hot coals. I believe for each brisket, around 10 hours, I added coals once the first time and twice the second.
Smokin the good stuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
SmittyJonz

Forget the lump and use briquette- get one of those long stem fryer thermometers and stick in exhaust vent.

SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Bludawg

Temperature is controlled by controlling the intake air. Use the double snake set up, 1 snake on each side 3 coals wide two layers 12-14 in long. Place your wood chunks on top. Start with 8-10 lit coals split between the snakes 1 burning clock wise & 1 counter clockwise, crack the bottom vent about 1/8" run the top wide open it will hold 250 for 8-9 hrs

Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Temperature is controlled by controlling the intake air. Use the double snake set up, 1 snake on each side 3 coals wide two layers 12-14 in long. Place your wood chunks on top. Start with 8-10 lit coals split between the snakes 1 burning clock wise & 1 counter clockwise, crack the bottom vent about 1/8" run the top wide open it will hold 250 for 8-9 hrs
Is there a picture of this?
Do you add wood for smoke ever ?
I can't imagine where to put the lit coals
Sorry!
Mark

Old 09-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Smokin the good stuff
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

http://www.thesmokering.com/index.ph...a-weber-kettle
This website shows exactly how I did on the kettle, I make sure to put the flip up part of the cooking grate over the coals so I can add wood or charcoal without moving the meat.
Smokin the good stuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin the good stuff View Post
http://www.thesmokering.com/index.ph...a-weber-kettle
This website shows exactly how I did on the kettle, I make sure to put the flip up part of the cooking grate over the coals so I can add wood or charcoal without moving the meat.
Thanks. I have different vents on the bottom. I have long fan like blades.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
How would u add a) wood chips b) more fuel

Old 09-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
SmittyJonz

I just tossed a pork loin onto my Kettle using the above pictured SmokyNador 3.0 and its cruising at 300*ish.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I just tossed a pork loin onto my Kettle using the above pictured SmokyNador 3.0 and its cruising at 300*ish.
I thought it needed to run at 225 degrees?

Old 09-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
SmittyJonz

Nothing needs 225*

Alot of guys are smoking EVERYTHING 275-325* (including Pros)

Type "PitMaster T's Hot n Fast Brisket" into YouTube........ Then HnF Pork Butt.....
Others like 250* - 2 reasons 1. Gets done faster and just as Good and you don't have to stay up all night and 2. It's easier to cook at whatever temp your smoker likes to settle in at than fight it and constantly tweak it trying to hit or maintain a certain temp it dont like. Don't ruin a steady 250* trying to make it run 225*.............

Old 09-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Nothing needs 225*

Alot of guys are smoking EVERYTHING 275-325* (including Pros)

Type "PitMaster T's Hot n Fast Brisket" into YouTube........ Then HnF Pork Butt.....
Others like 250* - 2 reasons 1. Gets done faster and just as Good and you don't have to stay up all night and 2. It's easier to cook at whatever temp your smoker likes to settle in at than fight it and constantly tweak it trying to hit or maintain a certain temp it dont like. Don't ruin a steady 250* trying to make it run 225*.............
Ok. Didn't know. Was told it had to be real low.
Whata bout for beer can chicken? Doing it now.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonmark View Post
Ok. Didn't know. Was told it had to be real low.
Whata bout for beer can chicken? Doing it now.
Most ppl say 325-350* for Chicken so it crips the skin - I feed the skin to my dogs. Ive done most of my BeerCan Chickens 275-300*

Old 09-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
SmittyJonz

At the bottom of page on BBQ Brethren is a Google Search Bar that searches within BBQ Brethren - u can find lots of good info. Nothing wrong with asking questions tho.

You will see there is 101!ways to do the same thing - everybody BBQs a lil different.