NO WAY this brisket was any good.

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A buddy of mine posted on FB that he was smoking a brisket Saturday for their family cookout. It was a 12 lb packer. He said he smoked for 8 hrs at 180 degrees until internal temp was at 165, pulled, sliced then ate.

How in the world was the brisket edible? Or am I missing something?

Personally I like to make thick slices so it would be too tough at that temp. But if you slice it deli thin I would think it would be fine.

Maybe you oughta ask your Buddy. :doh:

Maybe he ordered a pre cooked one and that was his way of warming it or maybe he boiled it first........or maybe he's a freak with Wolf teeth........? :mrgreen:

I don't see how either - maybe 8 hrs at 280* ?

He might have a cheap thermo no where near the cooking surface so it was really 225* or more?

I send me his address I have some old boots I need to get shy of.

I'd say in general, most people think their BBQ is much better than it actually is. Kind of like in poker, everyone thinks they're good.

I spent years cooking brisket "done" but not tender (not leaving on long enough for fat to render), and I could never figure out how come it always seemed tough. (Pre-internet days.) Finally talked to Mom who always cooked great and tender brisket in the oven. She explained cook at 225 for many hours until tender. I suspect your friend did what I used to do.

starve 'em long enough, add in some alcohol, they'll scarf up a hubcap and swear it was the best one they've ever eaten!

Many a BBQ team was born this way.

I have a buddy that has his BGE and thinks he puts out great bbq.

Unfortunately he think that 165 IT means that the pork butt or brisket is done and it is time for eating. I tried to tell him technically it is done, but it isn't done done. :twitch:

His old roommate actually lives with me now and he says my bbq blows our buddies out of the water. We have plans to hijack his bge out of his backyard during the winter. :laugh:

165 seems a strange temp. Either one doesn't do any research at all like my brother and cooks it like a steak or prime rib - figuring its done around 125.

Or 2 minutes to google 'when is brisket done' to remove it at 190 or above.

So I figure your buddy must just the way it comes out at 165 :eek:hwell: Hell my wife piles cheddar cheese on my bolognese that I had simmering for 3hrs. Cant argue with 'that's the way I like it'.

A buddy of mine posted on FB that he was smoking a brisket Saturday for their family cookout. It was a 12 lb packer. He said he smoked for 8 hrs at 180 degrees until internal temp was at 165, pulled, sliced then ate.

How in the world was the brisket edible? Or am I missing something?

Usually brisket (and other large cuts of meat) have a temperature plateau. Brisket tends to plateau around 160-165 degrees. It sounds like he may have stopped his cook at the plateau stage, which would make for some very tough brisket.

Back