MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default La caja china pig question

Second la caja china pig cook, the first one good but I want more smoke so I. decided to cook about 4 hours on my trailer smoker then switch to the la caja china for I guess about a 2.5 hour finish and present in the early afternoon. Has anyone tried this with about a 100 lb pig and do you have any timing or other recommendations. Also I had a peach tree die so I uprooted it and wondered should I use a power-washed root wad as fuel to smoke with or will the below grade wood be tainted?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

I've only done butts so far in my Caja China like box. Haven't tried a full pig yet.

I like the concept of the Caja China but I wanted some smoky flavor as well. I added a fitting to the box so I could mount a smoke pistol smoke generator. it worked just fine and added enough smoke. Turn it down and off as needed.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

I have a smoke pistol. I never mounted it to the la caja china. Does it work while cooking at the high heat or is it used before the main cook/

Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper's bbq View Post
I have a smoke pistol. I never mounted it to the la caja china. Does it work while cooking at the high heat or is it used before the main cook/
I used it for the first 2 hours of my butt cooks. I'd imagine it would be the same for the whole pig cook.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

The complete absence of smoke is a big draw back for me. I've cooked a whole pig as well as butts on one.

I'm very interested in the best way to get good smoke flavor too so I'm all "ears".

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper's bbq View Post
Thanks.
Sure, one thing I noticed when I used the smoke generator. I expected to see some smoke seep through the top pan cracks of the Caja China and other areas where it may not seal very well. I didn't see any smoke escape at all and was concerned that it was accumulating in the box and may be too much smoke. I'd suggest starting out with the generator on low and check the output throughout the first two hours or however long you want to smoke it.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

There's another pig roaster that gives smoke flavor that seldom gets mentioned.

http://asadorcubano.com/

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post

Now, THAT makes sense to me.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post

This needs to stop being posted!! Or else I'm gonna get in trouble with another cooker purchase!!!!
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
swamprb

I just got a Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generator and am having a helluva time trying to find out where the ideal place to mount it on my La Caja China #2. Anyone thats using a Smoke Pistol got any advice? The LCC site and FB page are pretty useless.

I have seen where people have been using the A-Maze-N tubes or maze inside the box.

Having done 3 pigs in my box there were never any complaints about the lack of smoke, and when I did Mojo injected Picnics and Butts the absence of smoke really brought out the flavor of the marinade-something I never quite got and wondered what all the fuss about Mojo when I was smoking them.

My first pig cook in the LCC was an 89lb dressed out pig and it was too big IMO for the racks. We ended up cutting the head off and cooking it in the cavity. The guests loved that!

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

nice looking pig

Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

While mine is not a true Caja China, (Santa Maria with a top) I used a pneumatic fitting so I could easily install and remove the Smoke Pistol. I mounted it on the end of the box, close to the side. On the inside I ran a coupler to the pneumatic fitting with a 8" or so black pipe. I extended the pipe towards the center of the box but still hugging the side as to give access to flipping the hog, etc.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

Do you have a picture? I'd love to see your handy work.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks from:--->