MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default Do apple trees fair well in Oklahoma?

I am going to be buying my first home here in Tulsa, Oklahoma and I was wondering if anyone knew if an apple tree would fair well here.

Or perhaps there is another fruit wood tree that does better better in these parts?

My idea is I eventually want to be able to have free branches for barbecue/smoking :) (Free fruit wouldn't be bad either! )

Old 07-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Apple and Peach Varieties for Oklahoma - OSU Fact Sheets
http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docush.../F-6210web.pdf

Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

It's going to be up to 10 years before the trimmings will be big enough to use for smoking. I don't know about whether they will grow well in your area, but a local nursery would be able to help you with that question.
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbj View Post
It's going to be up to 10 years before the trimmings will be big enough to use for smoking. I don't know about whether they will grow well in your area, but a local nursery would be able to help you with that question.
This is what I was thinking. You gotta be planning for long term.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

In one of my previous careers I was a nursery manager. I can guarantee you that there are probably a wide variety of apple trees that would do well in Oklahoma. I'm in south central Texas and if they do well here with our extreme summers, lack of rainfall and lack of cold winters they should do really well there. Fruit trees, (not including citrus) grow and produce best in areas with a decent, measurable amount of rainfall and chilling hours in the winter months. You've got us beat by a mile on those things.