MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #811
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Glad there's a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #812
bigben800
Got Wood.

Updates?
bigben800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #813
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben800 View Post
Updates?
Not a lot going on. This winter storm was brutal. Some schools plan on being closed for a week straight. We were under a state of emergency until this morning I think. And of course, just as I suspected, this delayed getting the parts in. My guy says he's hoping he gets everything in on Friday and can send his guys out Monday, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I think realistically, if they get here by next Wednesday that would be about right.

Health department called again today and basically said he's on-call at any hour and as soon as we get that crap installed and inspection approved, he will come out and grant the license. That means if we could get inspections done by mid-week, we could open by next weekend.

It's painful, but people do seem to be doing everything they can to help. It never should have happened in the first place, but it is what it is now.

But the more concerning issue right now is the smoker. It still won't ignite. Spent hours on the phone today with both SP and the people who sold/installed the unit troubleshooting, and the unit itself appears to be just fine. Instead, this ridiculously cold weather may be to blame with the propane line. Right now, I'm using the old line that split off from the main which comes into the building and then exits outside again to hook up to the smoker. So because of the cold temps and the piping going from cold, to warm, to cold again could be creating moisture in the gas problems. Or, something could have happened to the regulator while operating in very cold temps.

Either way, I won't know until I try some heating tricks tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, call in a gas guy to take a look at it.

I can't wait to wake up from this nightmare.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #814
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

man this sucks!

on the bright side, you are shaking down your smoker setup real good before you open and hopefully avoid problems and embarrassment down the line
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #815
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Yeah, glad the smoker issues are getting resolved before you have a line of customers waiting for food. Best of luck over the next couple of days.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #816
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Just read this 55-pager. An astonishing journey! You've shown guts and great poise through all of this. There are times in life where you look to the heavens and say, "Really? Really." Then you have to take a breath and say, "Alright, bring it on. I can handle anything you throw at me." Laugh. Scream. Then join the battle once again, brother!
Shirley 54 Stickburner, Weber 26 Kettle, Backlit Blue Thermapen (not street legal), Blackstone Griddle, Lime 22" Kettle, Gray 22" Kettle, Blue SS Performer, Wine Fridge Cold Smoker, Redskins Smokey Joe, Weber Q, Weber Go Anywhere, & Weber Spirit
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #817
landarc

That kind of cold, who knows what could be wrong with the smoker. Most mechanical equipment will not function normally at those temperatures.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #818
Riz58
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Not a lot going on. This winter storm was brutal. Some schools plan on being closed for a week straight. We were under a state of emergency until this morning I think. And of course, just as I suspected, this delayed getting the parts in. My guy says he's hoping he gets everything in on Friday and can send his guys out Monday, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I think realistically, if they get here by next Wednesday that would be about right.

Health department called again today and basically said he's on-call at any hour and as soon as we get that crap installed and inspection approved, he will come out and grant the license. That means if we could get inspections done by mid-week, we could open by next weekend.

It's painful, but people do seem to be doing everything they can to help. It never should have happened in the first place, but it is what it is now.

But the more concerning issue right now is the smoker. It still won't ignite. Spent hours on the phone today with both SP and the people who sold/installed the unit troubleshooting, and the unit itself appears to be just fine. Instead, this ridiculously cold weather may be to blame with the propane line. Right now, I'm using the old line that split off from the main which comes into the building and then exits outside again to hook up to the smoker. So because of the cold temps and the piping going from cold, to warm, to cold again could be creating moisture in the gas problems. Or, something could have happened to the regulator while operating in very cold temps.

Either way, I won't know until I try some heating tricks tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, call in a gas guy to take a look at it.

I can't wait to wake up from this nightmare.
having snow camped with Scouts n 0 degree weather, propane/butane do not do well at those temps. May I suggest placing plumber's pipe heating tape (like is used around water lines) on the exposed propane lines to raise the temperature several degrees?

Also, have you tried hooking up a smaller 5 - 10 gallon tank that has been kept in a warmer environment directly to the smoker? It might help eliminate variables. If it does not work with the small tank, then the problem with the smoker, if it does ignite, the problem is the delivery system to or from the building.

Just some thoughts. Wish you the best.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #819
JamieK
On the road to being a farker

Stay Strong, and keep positive, in a year from now this will just be a funny story to tell your customers, and no longer a nightmare.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #820
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with Riz58.

You might look at having an electrician or plumber come out and put some heat trace tape on the gas line. I have read some of the thread, not all.....are you using a propane tank to feed the restaurant? The gas in the tank will be fine.

In your climate, the piping from the tank to the building could pose a problem.

Don't let any jackwagon size/install the tape. There are different wattages/etc. It is sold in X watts per foot....and that needs to be specifically designed for your use.

If a contractor gives you the space alien look, you might call around to some Mechanical/Plumbing engineers in the area....Someone should be able to help you.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #821
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I'm skeptical that cold temperature is affecting the propane to the point where it is not flowing. And I doubt you need to heat trace the lines. From http://www.propane101.com/propaneregulatorfreezing.htm
Quote:
As the propane passes through the regulator, it expands (resulting in sub zero temperatures) and causes the regulator to gradually reach the extremely cold temperature of the propane vapor passing through it.
This implies that propane is at subzero temperatures during normal operation.

But if you have any doubts about this, I suggest you contact your propane dealer. If cold weather is actually a problem, they will be aware of it and know how to deal with it.

I also highly doubt that there is water in the propane. It is possible that the regulator is malfunctioning. Again, this would be a good question for your propane dealer as they would probably be the right people to talk to about getting it checked and/or repaired.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #822
Mark M
Full Fledged Farker

Marubozo, hang in there buddy. Can't wait to try your vittles. Next time I visit my brother in Chicago I want to take a little side trip to Niles to try some good ole southern Michigan style BBQ. I'm sure it will be well worth it.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #823
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Tracked down the problem with the smoker. It's a bad ignition module. A replacement will be here on Wednesday and under warranty so it won't cost me anything. First good news I've had in a while.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #824
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Good to hear. How goes it with the other stuff?

Old 01-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #825
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
Good to hear. How goes it with the other stuff?
Still waiting for that call, hopefully this afternoon.

Thanks from:--->