MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
stokestackbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Looking for suggestions for a cooker for my new 20' trailer.

Just decided to pull the trigger and go for a 20' concession trailer for my catering business. It's from trailer country and is gonna be pretty close to this one. It's got a 7' wide and 6' deep porch.

I've been researching different cookers for the last year, and have been flip-flopping about what to buy. I've decided to sacrifice my sleep and sanity and go for a real, wood-burning cooker for the authentic taste. But now I'm stuck as for what brand and style to buy.

I'll be driving down from Canada to pick up the trailer in GA, so picking up the cooker along the way is a high priority. I'd love to go for a southern pride or ole hickory, but I just can't get past the $10K+ price point.

At this point, I'm leaning towards a good ol fashioned offset with a rib box. I've only got about 6.5' of width and 3' of depth to work with, so it's gonna be tough (There is a back door that has to swing open) The other option, though, is to put a cabinet style cooker in the corner of the porch, and that would buy me a few extra feet of space.

Does anyone with some experience with this have any advice to offer?
stokestackbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default sp 500

I might be able to set you up with a southern pride 500, I am eh short distance from you in Buffalo....or even stop by to see my set up and what I did right and what I did wrong building mine

look real close at rating of axles, when in doubt GO BIGGER!
I have a 25 ft and roll down the road at 11,000 loaded with 1,000 pounds of meat/food/ice/beer / pop/ etc..
cooker alone will weigh 1500 to 2000 plus fire wood/ fridge/ freezer/ gen sets/pots/supplies/water it really adds up..
then I pile on tables/spare gen set/chairs/tents/backwoods smoker for comps/charcoal/gas/propane/
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

^^^^^^I agree with BigBelly. Watch your weight. I know a guy that has a beautiful trailer and a bent frame. Also, don't scrimp on the cooker. I will be your life blood. Do your homework and get what you really want and need instead of just a good deal or something that might work but doesn't. Spending a few extra bucks now may save you big time later on. Also check out a Fast Eddy cooker. You could probably put one large or 2 smaller ones on there. Plus you get to sleep. Southern Pride smokers also rock. I would definitely talk with BigBelly. Good luck with what ever you do.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
stokestackbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Like I said, I'd love to go for a Southern Pride, but the money just isn't there. My partner and I each have scrounged together around $9K and are just trying to get the best bang for our buck in this first year of biz.

I found a nice looking, insulated rotisserie cooker from Nolen's Custom Smokers for just under $6K. It's gas-assisted but can be used without if necessary. I have yet to see a review for it online, but I think it's worth looking into. Pair that up with a $8K trailer and we've still got a couple bucks to put a griddle, fryers, and some tables in the trailer. Seems like a good way to get started.
stokestackbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Might want to look at a LANG. Good stick-burner. Add the char-coal grill on the front (Hybrid) and the Rib box/warmer on the back (Deluxe) and you have a great set-up!

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang48/lan...id_deluxe.html

And they are located in Georgia.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Do you need to have an NSF rated smoker? That would be the first question. Second how much do you need to cook at once? A nice sized smaller unit or your porch would be an Ole Hickory CTO. Dead nuts accurate and can do competition with the gas line disconnected.
2800-4k on average. Call ole hickory direct and ask them for the catering price.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Jeff Therrell
Knows what a fatty is.

Make sure you get extended height or you won't be able to get an exhaust hood in it. I have a 24' with a 7' porch. We built our cooker it is a cabinet style cooker with barn doors, it is 6' tall 4' wide and 3' deep. It is wood fired, it also had a propane burner in it until last week when it blew up and gave me 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my left leg, it is now leaning against the wall in the shop. LOL Also watch them GA trailers I won't mention any names but the next trailer I get will come from Indiana!! If it comes with Taskmaster tires on it they won't make it back to Canada, I wore out all 4 tires in less than 500 miles, checked alignment and nothing was wrong, put on a set of 10 ply radials and no wear in 3000 miles.
Thanks, Jeff
Sweetfire BBQ
Lincolnton NC
Jeff Therrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
vexter1
On the road to being a farker

I have 2 CTO's on my trailer for vending. Love em! FEC 100's would be a great choice as well. I'd say either propane or pellet - reason being most organizers of festivals don't have a place for ashes/coals to be stores and charcoal just tends to be messier overall IMO. Propane over wood like a CTO or pellets is very low mess/maintenance for vending IMO.

HTH and good luck!
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokestackbbq View Post
Just decided to pull the trigger and go for a 20' concession trailer for my catering business. It's from trailer country and is gonna be pretty close to this one. It's got a 7' wide and 6' deep porch.

I've been researching different cookers for the last year, and have been flip-flopping about what to buy. I've decided to sacrifice my sleep and sanity and go for a real, wood-burning cooker for the authentic taste. But now I'm stuck as for what brand and style to buy.

I'll be driving down from Canada to pick up the trailer in GA, so picking up the cooker along the way is a high priority. I'd love to go for a southern pride or ole hickory, but I just can't get past the $10K+ price point.

At this point, I'm leaning towards a good ol fashioned offset with a rib box. I've only got about 6.5' of width and 3' of depth to work with, so it's gonna be tough (There is a back door that has to swing open) The other option, though, is to put a cabinet style cooker in the corner of the porch, and that would buy me a few extra feet of space.

Does anyone with some experience with this have any advice to offer?
Does not compute
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

It computes if he uses them with out the gas.

If your interested in a rotessiere style check out Cadillac Cookers. My brother in law has one and its more than likely what I will put my trailer.

Place here, north of Houston, uses one with great success. www.corkscrewbbq.com Was a trailer, soon to be permanent.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
It computes if he uses them with out the gas.

If your interested in a rotessiere style check out Cadillac Cookers. My brother in law has one and its more than likely what I will put my trailer.

Place here, north of Houston, uses one with great success. www.corkscrewbbq.com Was a trailer, soon to be permanent.
Wow, their food looks great and their prices seem reasonable. I checked out their site and read some reviews, they know what they are doing. Wish I could try it out. Good luck to them!
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote