MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

$150 should be top dollar for this performer, a roto really does not add anything to your cook its just a gadget waste of money.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It was posted a few months ago too. Too much IMO. $175-$200 tops if the roto is in great shape. Also check every nook and cranny for rust. Point out that the 10 year stamp on the tank is expired and will be $60 to replace and that a new ash sweeper and ring/pot will run you $50. Remember that if the welds on the kettle are rusty you can't get redhead replacement parts anymore. Then offer $150 cash and wave it in his face. He''ll get a fair price and you won't lose any sleep wondering if you overpaid.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
MisterChrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
$150 should be top dollar for this performer, a roto really does not add anything to your cook its just a gadget waste of money.
Disagree. A roto is very useful and makes juicy birds a snap. Self-basting rotisserie meat is no gimmick. I use mine a ton and can Q like a motherfarker without one too....

Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Been emailing back and forth. He told me the following to answer some of my questions.

"I replaced the wiper blades", Ah the old one have the nut that is always rusted shut, so how'd ya do dat.....

"It's in really good shape for its age".......

"I never refilled the tank so not sure if the ignitor works, but it did the last time"....

"Weber still makes this, but it has a plastic table and they don't have the gas assist anymore. I know becasue my dad had a new one and didn't like it, he sold it. This one is much better because of the SS"......

So I made them a maximum offer contingent on everything being kosher, up to stuff and in reasonable condition. One thing people never take into account when selling a grill is cleaning. I can't bring something home, fire it up and throw meat on it.......... It has to be thoroughly cleaned and gone over. then i get the Farker DIRTY..........
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Disagree. A roto is very useful and makes juicy birds a snap. Self-basting rotisserie meat is no gimmick. I use mine a ton and can Q like a motherfarker without one too....
Shhhh!!!! I was going to offer to take the rotisserie off his hands cheap.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #21
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks pretty nice to me.... I would check that propane bottle to see if it has the OPD stamp for sure..... I'm not familiar with the older ones & how that propane bottle actually hooks up, etc., so if it's something unique, that wont hook up to a disposable bottle or bulk tank via a hose you may want to consider your options..... I find the propane option very handy & use it all the time..... I have 2 performers with the thermoset tables & they come in handy..... I love the looks of the SS tables, but chose the thermoset ones due to that handle sticking upward in the SS table area... I like to put cutting boards, serving trays, etc. on that area & it looked like it would be in the way to me.... I think that may be why Weber changed the table top design? ..... Weber still makes Performers with the propane assist ignition, so not sure what that guy was talking about?

I have a SS CB rotisserie & love it as an accessory to the kettle. Don't use it all the time, but it's great for spinning stuff from chicken(s), roasts, hams, dual Tri Tips, etc.

Depending on condition, I think the asking price is a little high also..... Butt, if THAT is what you are after, I would go after it.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #22
MisterChrister

One more angle to use in your negotiations is if the rotisserie is the correct one. Weber offers a newer option for kettles with the slide aside lid holder that has a notch in the ring to accommodate the nut inside of the kettle bowl. Otherwise you will need to notch the metal yourself or remove the lid holder when using the rotisserie.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #23
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

He's asking way too much. $150 is the highest I'd go. I paid $100 for mine.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks to be in pretty good shape, good input above, always good to negotiate.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote