MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
alecksjaycubs
Full Fledged Farker

Default Best BBQ Cleaner EVER!

Just found this at my local Ace Hardware (Chicago area). I needed to clean my Mak to get it ready to sell and figured I'd give it a shot. OMG it's awesome! The sticky black gunk on my hood started to melt off as soon as I put it on. A light scrub with a no scratch Scotch Bright and it rinsed right off. Darn thing looks almost new. It says it's safe for plants so just did everything outside. I used it full strength but I think that a diluted solution will keep things looking great now that it's clean.

http://www.challengercleaner.com

I have no interest in this in any way... Just sharing a terrific product.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

Not sure I would use this. Just because it's safe around plants doesn't make it food safe. The only things I use to clean my smoker are steam and elbow grease.
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

On the inside or the outside of the hood?

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
s0upb0ne
On the road to being a farker

Caustic Potash (Potassium hydroxide is the main ingredient.. I just read the MSDS) used in a very dilute form in hair removal products. It's a pretty strong base but if you clean it out of your grill well.. I don't think you will have a problem.
s0upb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
Not sure I would use this. Just because it's safe around plants doesn't make it food safe. The only things I use to clean my smoker are steam and elbow grease.
Brushing and a light cleaning with steam while hot makes for easy clean-up after every use. Easy to do while the meat is resting.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

It does say USDA approved, so it can't be that bad.
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
SuburbSlicker
Full Fledged Farker

Not sure I would use it given the safety question. I found Dawn Power Dissolver to be very effective if you can find it.

But even if I wanted this Challenger cleaner, it's not available in my state -- only a handful of states in the midwest.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Wait. You are supposed to clean your BBQ?

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Can I get an amen....

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
jham0077
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : jham0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
Can I get an amen....
Amen!
RecTeq 590 - Woodhouse
Medium Big Green Egg(yard sale find)
jham0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Only when you are trying to sell it.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

Water??
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Only when you are trying to sell it.
Dunno. If I was a possible buyer, guy tells me about this great smoker and how he has created all this great food on it, and I show to see something that looks like it just came out of the box, it's gonna make me wonder. Either A) he's lying to me and something is wrong with it or B) he don't know what he is doing.

Clean out any grease pan, scrub the grates, but don't get rid of any seasoning...

(I am only somewhat kidding about this)

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #14
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There is a natural and very effective way to clean a cooker. Hit it with a 2800# pressure washer. What doesn't come off belongs there.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-06-2014, 06:23 AM   #15
CraigC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
There is a natural and very effective way to clean a cooker. Hit it with a 2800# pressure washer. What doesn't come off belongs there.
I'd love to see you clean a Weber kettle with that and not be chasing after it as you knock it around!