MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Authentic Delicious 19th Century Virginia Brunswick (Barbecue) Stew! Pron & Recipe

Brunswick Stew is a great Virginia tradition that goes back to about 1816. First cooked by James (Jimmy) Matthews as a squirrel stew, the recipe as we know it today was pretty much settled between 1816 and 1828 thanks to a fellow named Ned Stith. Both Matthews and Stith lived in Brunswick, VA.

Georgia likes to claim the origination of Brunswick Stew, but their claim only goes back to 1898. Brunswick Stew was cooked in Virginia in antebellum times and newspapers also begin to mention Brunswick Stew in Georgia around the 1870's. So, sorry, Georgia, Brunswick Stew is a Virginia tradition that spread through the South.

Brunswick Stew was originally a squirrel stew. But, it is more of a community food than a hard set recipe. The three basic ingredients are tomatoes, corn, and butter beans (a.k.a. baby Lima beans). From there, just about any kind of meat is permissible. There are 19th century accounts of Brunswick stew made with squirrel or chicken or a combination of both, and even beef. One account tells us of the stew made with squirrel, chicken, and pheasant in the same pot. They also used rabbit in the mix from time to time and one writer mentioned that it was "highly seasoned" which is probably a reference to the cayenne pepper that Virginians loved to use in recipes.

I asked my 84 year old Dad about it and he told me that he and his family have been eating it since he can remember. He said that the old timers used to use squirrel in it. The name "Brunswick Stew" isn't universal in Virginia either. It's been called squirrel stew and also barbecue stew in some areas of the state. My Dad told me that besides squirrel, chicken was often used. He also pointed out that, in lean times, the old timers would only use fat back for the meat. That's how I remember my Mother making it. It was a highlight of summer meals. Fresh corn, tomatoes, and butter beans straight from my Dad's garden in the pot with some fat back. What I'd give to have just one more bowl of that stew made by my Mother.

Sometime around the 1870's, some in the Albemarle, Virginia area added Worcestershire sauce and okra. But, none of that is needed for a truly authentic Brunswick Stew.

Here is an authentic 19th century Virginia Brunswick (barbecue) stew. It's absolutely delicious. My Japanese raised daughter in-law ate two bowls! My wife told me that we will be cooking it again. Here are the ingredients.

1 onion chopped
3 ounces of fat back, rinsed
1 TBS lard or bacon grease
2 pounds butter beans
3 to 4 ears of corn
1 28 ounce can of tomatoes
2 medium potatoes, diced
4 chicken thighs
Unsalted chicken broth or water
1/2 stick of butter
salt
pepper
cayenne pepper flakes (a key for Virginia style stew)
sugar

Start off by sweating the onions and the fat back in the lard or bacon grease.

After about 15 - 20 minutes, add the tomatoes.

Let the pot come to a simmer and add the chicken along with a tablespoon each of black pepper, and salt, sugar, and one teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Add a little broth or water to cover the chicken, if needed.

Let the chicken simmer in the pot for about an hour or until it can be easily removed from the bone. If the liquid reduces too much to where the chicken isn't covered, add a little more broth or water.

Now, add the butter beans.

Remove the chicken thighs from the pot, remove the meat from the bones and shred or chop it then add it back to the pot. Discard the bones, cartilage and skin. I fed all of the skin and cartilage to my doggies. No cooked chicken bones for the dogs, please!

Let the pot simmer for about another 20 minutes and add the potatoes.

Once the beans and potatoes are tender, add the corn that has been cut from the cobs.

Let it cook for about another 10 minutes, then reduce the heat and stir in the butter that has been cut into cubes.

Once the butter has melted into the stew, check the seasoning, make any needed adjustments, and serve.

I like to add a little extra red pepper to mine. One 19th century writer called this stew a taste of "old Virginianism."

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Boshizzle; 09-17-2012 at 09:02 PM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

That looks great! Thanks for the tutorial.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome recipe Bo! The historian here.

TF

Old 09-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
willowrun
Knows what a fatty is.

looks awesome!, as a native virginian, i am embarrassed to say that i thought brunswick stew came from up north.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great , I love Brunswick stew !!! My version is quite similar , North Carolina influenced , with bbq pork as well as chicken .. Like yourself I enjoy studying (and eating) traditional bbq recipes ...Thanks

Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

If that didn't look so good, I'd have to put up a fight about the whole Virginia vs Georgia origination. Of course, the recipe I use is from Virginia too, so I don't have too much room to talk.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
leanza
Babbling Farker

I love history and I appreciate your contribution. Stew looks great. Looks like somebody could go a lot of directions with that base recipe.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good. Been making Brunswick stew since late 60's in Boy Scouts. Now I usually use pork and chicken. Sometimes we use 3 meats with the addition of brisket. It's good eats.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor View Post
Looks good. Been making Brunswick stew since late 60's in Boy Scouts. Now I usually use pork and chicken. Sometimes we use 3 meats with the addition of brisket. It's good eats.
Sounds delicious!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Bama Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Love the history and the recipe...brings back memories.

*NOT a member of the Secret Squirrel Society because it does not exist! :crazy:

KCBS
CBJ
Bama Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the recipe.

When I used to go deer hunting for a week we always had a hot pot of Brunswick stew going on the stove at the lodge with a stack of bowls sitting next to it. Nothing is better than a hot bowl of Brunswick stew as soon as you come in from a day out in the cold.

Ours started out as with a bunch of rabbit, and we would dump the daily leftovers in the pot and top off the water every night. It was always delicious no matter what we threw on the pot.

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
gnwes
On the road to being a farker

i dont care where it came from but i made some this weekend .... a different recipe then yours, and it was awesome! i love the stuff.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #13
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My dad has been making Brunswick Stew since I can remember. Whatever he'd come home with after a day's hunt, was what went in the pot. Most often, I remember venison, rabbit, with some pork added. Sometimes with corn bread, and sometimes with a big crusty loaf of country bread or pumpernickel. Delicious. Love your researched pieces, Joe. Keep 'em coming.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Great recipe, I've been to Brunswick county many times.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnwes View Post
i dont care where it came from but i made some this weekend .... a different recipe then yours, and it was awesome! i love the stuff.
That looks good! Care to share the recipe?

Tags
barbecue stew, brunswick, Brunswick stew, Stew