MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Default One more brisket question (choosing slices)

One more brisket comp. preference question in regards to appearance in the entry box....

When choosing your best slices - do you prefer picking slices from the middle of the brisket flat where it can be be quite wide and having to cut each side off to fit more compactly (and losing the bark on the side) or using smaller slices closer to the ends of the brisket that are not as wide and would allow to keep the sides in tact, showing the bark on the sides.

My preference would be to use the middle, where the brisket may be best cooked and cutting off the two sides but my guess is that some have other opinions if you choose slices only as the entry.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I prefer the middle slices - and the goal is to get the 6 or 8 slices consecutively! Some folks trim the brisket's width before cooking so that you get the bark on the ends and also solve the problem of the pointy thin looking ends.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2005, 10:59 PM   #3
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

To me, it doesn't matter where the brisket slices are from, rather how they taste. I prefer the area of the flat under the point because that texture is better and they usually have more moisture. However, we sample the end of the flat farthest from the point also. Which ever tastes better gets put in our boxes. For KCBS competition, appearance is weighted down. Use the best meat for taste and tenderness, then worry about appearance.

Also, some teams trim there briskets prior to cooking so that they don't have to cut the edges off of those big slices in the middle. I know it seems wasteful, but it's all about how it goes in the box, right?

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I use the slices from the middle and try to slice them as thick as a wood pencil. I always add a bunch of burnt ends in with the presentation too.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I tend to take slices from the middle also. I usually include some cut up burnt ends in my boxes as a treat for the judges. I just took a KCBS judging class and I can tell you with confidence that appearance is not weighted down. It could be the difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #6
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
I tend to take slices from the middle also. I usually include some cut up burnt ends in my boxes as a treat for the judges. I just took a KCBS judging class and I can tell you with confidence that appearance is not weighted down. It could be the difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
You may have taken a KCBS judging class, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night . . .In all of the categories, you should first concern yourself with taste and tenderness. After you have those two things working for you, concentrate on appearance. The best looking box at the contest will not finish in the top half if it tastes bad and is tough. In a KCBS sanctioned event, a "9" in appearance is worth approximately 5.1426, while that same score in taste is worth 20.5722. That "9" is also worth 10.2852 in tenderness. You can survive being dinged one or two points in appearance as long as your taste & tenderness scores are up there. Yes, all things equal, you need good appearance points also. However, if I have to choose between leaving my meat on the pit a little longer to get it done and having plenty of time to make a nice presentation, I'm going to get my tenderness right and take my chances with a rushed box. Just my opinion . . .

Old 09-27-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
Jeff_in_KC

Good conversation here, guys! And timely for me! Thanks..
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpellethead
if I have to choose between leaving my meat on the pit a little longer to get it done and having plenty of time to make a nice presentation, I'm going to get my tenderness right and take my chances with a rushed box. Just my opinion . . .
Mine too.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
Sawdustguy

kcpellethead,

My point was, as a competitor, taste and tenderness are the most important, but loosing points for appearance won't help you win. Will bad taste and tenderness hurt you more? Of course, but not worrying about appearance will not help you win contests either. Thats all. Oh, you are absolutely right. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night. Tonight's ribs came out a touch dry.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 09-27-2005, 09:37 PM   #10
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Sawdustguy,

Okay. I can't add anything more to this discussion. I understand your point. Just don't worry so much about presentation until you have a brisket product that will knock the judges (ditd) socks off.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:05 AM   #11
Sawdustguy

kcpellethead,

I understand and appreciate your point too. Good Discussion!

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 09-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #12
wsm
Full Fledged Farker

Default Going to KC to judge at the Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpellethead
Sawdustguy,

Okay. I can't add anything more to this discussion. I understand your point. Just don't worry so much about presentation until you have a brisket product that will knock the judges (ditd) socks off.
I'll pack extra socks.

PLEASE make me need them

<GRIN>

KCBS CBJ
WSM slightly modded, Weber Performer, Smokey Joe Gold, Whatever is handy
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2005, 08:46 AM   #13
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsm
I'll pack extra socks.

PLEASE make me need them

<GRIN>
Rich, I take it you're going to be judging at the Royal? If so, stop by #537 and say hello when you come in if you are here in time to wander around. Look for our big forest green sign that says "Big Creek BBQ".

By the way... you'll know my brisket if you get it... it'll be the best one you taste Saturday!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2005, 05:36 PM   #14
Solidkick

Quote:
By the way... you'll know my brisket if you get it... it'll be the best one you taste Saturday!

That's why I chose to pass on the AR.......didn't want you to come in second........and believe me when I honestly tell you that I TURNED DOWN several offers to cook this weekend........

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #15
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
That IS confidence. You go and get em.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote