MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Default Finally Trying a "Real" Rub

I wanted to try a comparison between the spices I've always used for ribs versus some real (ie, purchased) rub, so I contacted Steph and ordered a 6-pack of his Simply Marvelous rubs. I put on a thin coating of mustard to hold the rub on, used the Season All for a base and then used the Cherry rub. The slabs came already trimmed St. Louis style.
For my own seasoning I used "whats-this-here" sauce for a binder, garlic powder, lemon pepper, black pepper, Morton's season all and some Webers Kickin' Chicken. Then I threw them both on the UDS.
I cooked them 1:20/1/:45 at temps that ranged 230-250 (depending on the breeze), spritzed with apple juice at the turns and when going into the foil, and cooked over charcoal with 2 hickory chunks. It still amazes me how little charcoal the UDS requires. I keep cutting back the amount and still have a lot extra left at the end of the smoke.
I have to say the the ribs with my seasoning were most excellent, but the ones with the the Cherry rub were even better. The only problem is that next time, I want to use even more of the cherry rub. Great flavor, and I am now a rub convert!!

The slab with the cherry rub is the one on the left.

Tim

Last edited by Sly-one; 10-12-2011 at 09:24 PM..
Sly-one is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I'd hit that!!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I'd hit that!!

Bob
Ha, we did hit it, and hard! I've always also used my own homemade BBQ sauce but tonight, we ate em dry and loved it! I use a small block of hickory to hold my temp probe at meat level, and I see to the left of it is a bone that popped out. Whoops!

Tim

Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice looking food!!

I have plans to order the exact same 6 piece set of flavors. How much was the shipping to FL? I saw $19 on the site but maybe in reality its less?
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
Nice looking food!!

I have plans to order the exact same 6 piece set of flavors. How much was the shipping to FL? I saw $19 on the site but maybe in reality its less?
Yes, it is less and he refunds the difference very quickly. I got $8.50 back as a refund for shipping.
Also, if you put "BRETHREN" in for a coupon code you get a 10% discount for being a Bro here. It's a win-win situation.
I also ordered the rubber gloves and used them today when handling the ribs in the foil. No burned fingers! I liked that.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks man!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Also, the containers in the sampler pack are not small ones. They are 12 oz and up to 15 ounces in each bottle (jar, shaker???), you get a lot of each flavor.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

That is why I really want to go there for the sampler. It gives you enough to work out what you really like so there isn't a question when it comes time to order the big bag 0 rub.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

"Real Rub"? For me, "real rub" is the one that you make yourself...commercially produced rub is"Sears" rub.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
"Real Rub"? For me, "real rub" is the one that you make yourself...commercially produced rub is"Sears" rub.
Amen to that.

Add in that horrible bottled marinade too.

Make your own and be proud.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I used to think that. Then I tried Steph's stuff. I don't think that anymore.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks to this thread. I have now given my g/f more Christmas present ideas.

(dang I'm hungry)
Cack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #13
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
What makes the rub you make at home any better in quality than the rub that is made comercially?

Sly-one - Nice work on those ribs. Steph makes some phenominal rubs!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

I have to question this statement purely based on the fact that the commercially prepared rubs we are buying from the people on this site are not floor scraping spices being thrown together.

Mike, Ryan, Steph and many others are going to the spice purveyors and hand selecting from the finest available spices known to mankind and blending them for us. Their bulk purchases make our end product more affordable and so I would equate a store brand to maybe Sears or a Ford where as one of the microbatch rubs we can get to maybe a Maybach or Lamborghini.

I simply do not have the access to the high quality ingredients that these companies use and McCormick brand spices, while good are the sears brand of spices vs. what I am buying from these other companies.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for sharing your comparison. I got some rubs from Traeger a while back, and have been given some byron's butt rub as a gift, and found that they are both EXTREMELY salty for my taste. I basically wrote off commercial rubs assumming that they all add too much salt to save cost on other spices. Based on what I've read on this site lately, I might need to re-think that position. Again, thanks for the info, and your ribs look great.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote