MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Butcher paper wrapped brisket

Ok, so I did this 8lb choice angus brisket yesterday. A few weeks ago I got a huge roll of brown butcher paper from a local butcher supply. It looks more like craft paper but that's all they had so I took a chance of it being ok. Apparently it's a somewhat common practice used at some of the central TX BBQ places, see http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/20...ket-posse.html

Instead of using foil, butcher paper is used instead, with the idea being that foil will steam your meat and make it mushy leaving you with no "bark". Butcher paper is supposed to allow your brisket to breath a little while maintaining a moist environment for your brisket.

About 5 hours into the cook when the brisket developed a nice color to it I wrapped it up. Not a tidy wrap but oh well, I'm not sure that's important. I re-inserted my temp probe after I took these pics.

After a 2hr rest inside the kitchen oven, still wrapped up but sitting in a aluminum pan with a single layer of foil covering the pan. It was resting fat side up, so hence the blemishes when I flipped it over.

All sliced up. No smoke ring to appreciate whatsoever. This could hurt my scores in a BBQ comp. but lucky for me that's not the case here. Lack of a smoke ring is probably partially due to the rub I used which was Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork, which is excellent BTW. I used True Cue lump with about 5 good sized wood chunks, so there was definitely smoke. I waited for the smoke to lighten up a little and by the time I pulled the brisket from the fridge and put it into the keg, the keg was just about up to temp.

So although this brisket tasted great and was tender, it came out fairly dry. I had over trimmed it w/out using an injection. (Got the idea from watching Pitmasters, but I forgot about the fact that they inject their brisket.) It cooked for about 7 hours at around 275*. I had no remote monitoring capability as my stoker had probe issues , so I used a standard wired thermometer instead. I should of pulled it an hour sooner, when I went out to check on it, the alarm was going off as the IT was 207*!! I did not anticipate this brisket being done this soon, so yet another lesson learned I suppose. I normally check for doneness with a skewer or therm probe, but that 207* was the highest I ever let a brisket get to, so I pulled it immediately. Right now I'm not convinced butcher paper speeds up cooking the way foil does, so I don't think it was a factor in this situation. Although this was not my best brisket by far, it had a nice bark that wasn't mushy or too "crispy" which I believed it allowed the natural flavor of the rub to stand out more than usual. So all in all I believe the butcher paper served it's purpose and I will be using it in more experiments in the future and see how it goes.

Last edited by JS-TX; 09-05-2011 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: typo
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for the post, bro. That brisket looks great, BTW!

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Smoke ring is for show, I see bark, I'd hit it!
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Love the bark. Separate the point for burnt ends next time and get double the pleasure.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

Nice looking brisket!
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Interesting. Thanks for posting honest results
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Lack of a smoke ring is probably partially due to the rub I used which was Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork, which is excellent BTW.
Great post, JS-TX! Thanks for using Oakridge BBQ rub! Your brisket looked very tasty!

Just a quick fyi about the lack of smoke ring... We've never had any issues with smoke ring formation using our Competition Beef & Pork rub (or any of our rubs for that matter). In fact, we always get a great smoke ring, especially with the Comp rub...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brisket.jpg (75.6 KB, 454 views)

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks Mike, I figured it was because OR rubs have natural ingredients vs. rubs with nitrites and other things that help contribute to a smoke ring. Also a smoke ring is not something that is easily accomplished in kamado/keg cooker. Perhaps I used too much rub and didn't allow enough air flow to the surface of the meat. I know smoke rings are "over rated" but they do make a difference in comp. scores even though they are not supposed to be judged.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Thanks Mike, I figured it was because OR rubs have natural ingredients vs. rubs with nitrites and other things that help contribute to a smoke ring. Also a smoke ring is not something that is easily accomplished in kamado/keg cooker. Perhaps I used too much rub and didn't allow enough air flow to the surface of the meat. I know smoke rings are "over rated" but they do make a difference in comp. scores even though they are not supposed to be judged.
No problem, JS-TX! Feel free to use all the Oakridge BBQ rub you'd like, as it will not interfere with the production of a natural smoke ring. Good point about the absence of nitrites in our rubs, we sure don't use any of those. However, all that is really needed for a good smoke ring is raw meat and a couple hours in the presence of a hardwood fire. Sounds like you had both, so you've got me scratching my head as to why you didn't get a smoke ring on your brisket. I wonder if it's because those cookers (kamado/keg cookers) are so efficient that they aren't using enough hardwood fuel to create a good smoke ring?...

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

That's quite possible Mike, I should of put a handful of regular briquttes with my lump. I've heard that's supposed to help.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

JS, I have not been able to get a smoke ring on my KEG. I have no problem getting one on my Stumps. It has to be the KEG and not the rubs. I've loaded up my brisket with rub and chips/chunks of pecan and oak and still no smoke ring.
I now only use my KEG for grilling purposes and pizza making.

The brisket does look very good. Have you tried a hot/fast brisket? The last one I did was cooked at 325 on my Stumps and it was finished in 5 hrs. it was about 16 lbs. Very moist and tender. Best brisket I've done.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Bikini BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Ring or no ring, looks delicious ! Someday I gotta try one, I haven't done one yet.
Bikini BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I tried with regular paper, no good Got too have wax on one side I also like the bark!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks, no I haven't tried a high heat brisket cook yet. It's on my list to do. The smoke ring is very elusive, I usually get a small smoke ring on my briskets. I've seen some get bigger smoke rings on their kegs and BGEs. In IBCA comps that are dominant here in TX, it's pretty much like a people choice judging, anybody can judge. I helped judge a comp last year and even remember the head judge mentioning a smoke ring as a positive factor in giving a quick overview on judging criteria before she passed out the boxes.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
atcNick
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for sharing. I just ordered a roll of butchr paper a couple days ago. Im going to give it a shot
atcNick is offline   Reply With Quote