MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Exclamation Pitmaster T Video Series (2011 New!!) - Big Maybelle's "Candy" Glaze

Pitmaster T Video Series (2011 New!!) - Big Maybelle's "Candy" Glaze

Attachment 54212

Well folks its time - time to release something new. Something shot, canned and edited all by myself - not ever having to hear what Popdaddy thinks (may God Rest his Soul). No more calls on the bagphone from somewhere in the U.S. from his stretch Delorean, still so popular with the kids today that play those Gameboys and look up to that M.C Hammer character.

But I want to speak a moment about recipes, stealing, putting your own funk on it, then calling it your own because its something different - better - whatever.

I strongly believe in stealing, putting your own funk on it, then calling it your own because its something different - better - whatever.

From Popdaddy's own biography, I'm Still Big, its Just the CDS that got Smaller, he writes about stealing:

Stealing? Huh! Tell me how Bill Haley and the Comets stole from Big Joe Turner, how Pat Boone stole from Little Richard, how Elvis stole from Big Mama Thornton, how Jerry Lee stole from Big Maybelle Smith, the Stones and the Beachboys stole from Chuck Berry? And ALL of them - they all stole from ME!

Heck the White man has been stealing from the brother since the "real Mc Coy" - but it works both ways. And that is why in 1968 I bought me some QT, started drinking Tab, and changed my color to orange!

Think for a moment about the "Black Moses" Issac Hayes - by the 1970s, after years of white corporate interests stealing, white washing and re-releasing black hitz for the white masses, Issac managed to steal "By the Time I get to Pheonix" and "Walk on By" from the ultimate whities in music - Glenn Campbell and Burt Bacharat!!!! Stealing! Huh? Let me tell you somethin' 'bout Rock and Roll and BBQ. Back in the day those lily white girls and their sweet thangs, they had Pat Boone and Dion on their record player...sure did! But James Brown, Little Richard and yours truly, we were underneath those records. They danced and sang - but when daddy and momma drove up after school - SLAP - there went Ricky Nelson covering us again. See what I did just then? Hah! Nobody seems to understand just how valuable my time is! (CD's Got Smaller, Popdaddy, Funkstack Lighting Press, 1989, p. 941).
What's that have to do with this recipe and video? Well maybe its just to get the unfunky to click past this thread. Or maybe there's more. In my opinion, glaze, sauce, and rub recipes are the most intimate thing we share here on the forum. Here is why. When you tell me how to make a brisket from start to finish there are a million things that can go wrong - or right. But it changes things. This is one reason why I rarely use time when relaying a meat technique.

But when you take the time to share a recipe, and we write it down or print it, go to the store and buy THE RIGHT THINGS and not try to experiment or change things the first time (this is never wise unless something in it cannot be used) - when you take this time - well, its like having a piece of that person's heart right there. WE POUR our hearts into our craft, our art, if you will, this crazy thing called "culinarificness." Well documented recipes, properly transcribed and executed, are just about the only things going for us brethren as far as truly being next to one another across the miles that separate us. And likewise myself, I too get a certain amount of "love" from people, images, and sounds around me. This is the real reason my ingredients are coded to the passing eye - not because I want to be cryptic but because these flavor profiles honestly are represented by those great artists. Tell me Tina ain't paprika" Or Lime ain't Tito Puente, or Jackie Wilson ain't Dark Corn Syrup!

Attachment 54210
This is the case with Big Maybelle Smith.

I love this ole gal and she imparts a twist, an extra dimension of "sweet sincere heartache" to this song (recipe). Sure I stole the base of the recipe (song) from a white man - who is quickly featured somewhere in the video as a tip off to him. But Big Maybelle has worked her magic with this joint (song - recipe) and now I want to share it with you.

The original glaze has some rules that apply to it that transcend the new version. First, yes... it has a lot of James Brown but oddly enough the original creator was right... on ribs it sort of blends in and augments your existing flavor profile instead of upstaging. But no one was bigger than Big Maybelle. She was big, she was soft, smelled pretty good but also was a great gal to have around if you just broke the mirror off a mean biker's 1937 Harley Knucklehead.

Inspired by a brawl fight Popdaddy had with Big Maybelle during one of her revival tours before her death, I wanted to capture that event.

"I was on the other end of one of Big Maybelle's clock-cleaning jabs in a fight while she was holding Muddy Waters in a choke hold. Water was passed out but Maybelle hadn't noticed, which if you knew him is no small feat. Anyway Maybelle didn't get paid properly and was throwing stuff all over the bar. She had picked up a picture of her beloved mother (she carried in her travel case) and was about to throw it. I yelled, "no Belle, your momma!" Well, she thought I said "your Mama." and those eyebrows furled and... BAMN! I went flying. You would think that Maybelle would have left the joint or hit me again when I woke up but no... I woke up, lying warm with my face buried in her great bosom, and she was speaking to me like a child...'it's alright baby, Big Maybelle is so sorry baby, hey... what's all this orange **** rubbin' offa you?' She was that way... someone should make a sauce outta that..." (Ibid, pp. 1287-1288 ).
Attachment 54211
Big Maybelle near the end - Heart of Gold, Voice like Cracker Jacks and a Right Jab like Ali (Upper arm flesh deadweight near 55 lbs alone)

So I made some mods... a few not shown in the video. First the order... I am a big believer in that if you want to impart your rub (Or dry spice) flavor into your sauce you should do it with your thin liquids brought to a mother popcorn first. Afterward add the thicker stuff. This is the reverse of the video. Second, honestly, where it calls for Sir Duke (One Part) I split it between 1/2 Sir Duke and the other half Italian Aretha Franklin. The Cherries of course add that extra dimension and when used properly, for instance on loins or big cuts in a smoker set glazing technique (be careful) the cherry bits latch on for a nice look. This was stellar on a sliced ham I did for Easter in which I laid the cut portion down and the cherries stuck to the "steps of the cuts.

For ribs or chicken, you have a little bit more time than you did in the original - but not much. Frankly, depending on how thin your glaze is, you can glaze in the pit and then close it up just long enough for the pit to get to the original temp before you opened it and then add 5 - 10 minutes. Those cherries will "set".

Lastly this is thick stuff so save your cherry juice. Get my point?

So--- there is the background so in the next half hour - the New Video will be posted.

Enjoy.

Edict.

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 06-12-2017 at 02:46 PM..
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

The original thread had some difficulties... there is a speedial on the bagphone to Warner Brother... we will see if I can do Popdaddy's voice good enough to get them to play ball... hopefully, like many, they will believe Popdaddy never died. I know many of you think he is like Elvis and never truly died.

Edict.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

YouTube - ‪Pitmaster T Series - Big Maybelle's Candy Glaze‬‏

Here it is - They took the bait. Some minions at Warner Brothers cleared it! I could hear in the background 'but I thought Popdaddy was dead?" and the other said, "****... I ain't telling the boss I said no to Popdaddy."

Edict.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I read the thread and enjoyed the video. Thanks.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

ur welcome man

Edict.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Funky D
On the road to being a farker

Watched the vid, but this one threw me.... 95% humor, 5% recipe... maybe my a.d.d. got the worst of me.

Can you post the recipe for us Bretheren?
Funky D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
syndicate559
Full Fledged Farker

OK, I might have to watch that another time or two to make sure I've got it

Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks Donnie! Loved the video and will give the recipe a try. Just a quick question for ya. Are the parts by weigh or by volume?

Old 06-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky D View Post
Watched the vid, but this one threw me.... 95% humor, 5% recipe... maybe my a.d.d. got the worst of me.

the recipe IS posted, in the vid, for us brethren, my friend.

100% humor, 100% recipe, 100% soul.

all i can say is use the search feature and the funk may reveal itself before your eyes.

you'll be happy you spent the time.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
smellysockalarmclock
On the road to being a farker

Have you tried sweet cherries in favor of the maraschino? It looks great just wondering if the cherries make it or break it.
Thanks for the recipe!

Old 06-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I will answer that question when someone identifies the guy I laid the spotlight on in the video right when Maybelle does "that thang."

Edict.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
DannyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Great post! Thanks Donnie!
DannyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Love it. Donnie!

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #14
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Sweet Donnie. Gotta try it this coming weekend!!!

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky D View Post

The recipe is clearly in the video. Everything I do is in "parts" so you can make as much or as little as your need.

Edict.