MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default Trouble at the Royal

Looks like there's a shake up in Kansas City

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...0792543.htm?1c
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

ROB,
Requires registration and you receive "offers".
Thanks newspaper, but no thanks

Can you highlight for us or cut and paste?

Thanks,

TIM

Old 02-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
hornbri
On the road to being a farker

kapndsl try this nifty web site.

http://bugmenot.com/

Old 02-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
BrooklynQ
Banned

Those bastards. I had just read the articel without a subsription, then posted the link.
Now they want a sub.

Here ya go...

"Most volunteers leave American Royal barbecue contest

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Most of the volunteers who helped with the American Royal's nationally known barbecue competition have left the event.

The 65 volunteers, who served on the barbecue committee, plan to hold their own event, but the American Royal retains the right to the contest name and all other assets of the barbecue.

The American Royal Barbecue Contest generally fills Kansas City's West Bottoms with grills and hundreds of the world's best cooks. Fans call it the "World Series of Barbecue," and it generally kicks off the Royal's fall schedule of horse shows, rodeos and livestock competitions.

The American Royal's new board chairman - Neal Patterson, chairman and chief executive officer of Cerner Corp. - said Tuesday that several meetings were held with the volunteers but they could not be persuaded to stay. Patterson said the committee members wanted more independence.

"Independently, they chose to leave," Patterson said.

J. Mariner Kemper, UMB Financial Corp.'s chairman and chief executive, now leads the Royal's barbecue committee. He said most of the Royal's biggest sponsors had agreed to return for the next contest and many will increase their support of the event.

ON THE NET

http://www.americanroyal.com
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sound like "pros" are taking over - I'm thinking you can kiss the Open event good bye - either that or the $$$ is goin UP! However, if I was a volunteer I'd keep an eye out for the job postings - why not get paid for what you used to do for "free"?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Notice the article does NOT say wha the volunteers issues were?

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

David both the Inventational and Open are Pro events, the volunteers are from the chairities that recieve funds from the event.
The person put in charge had run the event before that job was given to Tracy. Tracy and her group wanted complete say in how the Royal BBQ was run and the folks she worked for were not willing to give Tracy's group that much power. They are running a competition at Kansas Speedway on May 28th and 29th.
Jim
PS I first heard about this back in Oct, they moved fast once they left.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #7
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

**** - I'd volunteer for that event. I've volunteered for all kinds of stuff.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:03 AM   #8
chad

I didn't mean the "pros" cooking - I meant the "pros" doing the "organizing" - you lose volunteer staff and usually the only option left is paid staff and soon things like the "Open" are being downsized because they can't afford the staffing.

It's too bad a power struggle had to develop.

Never the less - it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #9
Bigdog

Is this all about only 65 volunteers. If so, I think that a city the size of KC will have no trouble coming up with 65 volunteers. :?
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Is this all about only 65 volunteers. If so, I think that a city the size of KC will have no trouble coming up with 65 volunteers.
Bingo - especially for an event like that.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #11
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

The BBQ was including volunteers about 65 people, they will need to put together a complete group, I'm sure they have already started doing that. They are saying that they are looking at it being bigger this year, not going backwards.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles

Old 02-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #12
LittleJoe
Found some matches.

The KCBS forum carried a pretty big discussion on this move. Not sure if everything is out in the open.
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #13
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
The BBQ was including volunteers about 65 people, they will need to put together a complete group, I'm sure they have already started doing that. They are saying that they are looking at it being bigger this year, not going backwards.
Via a local rumor source, Fast Eddy is involved in the group replacing those that departed. Jim is there anything to this rumor that you know of?

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2005, 09:57 PM   #14
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

If you look at who is on the new commitee it is the whos who of KC corp world. A lot big players are coming over to Royal it could be bigger than ever.
Jim
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles

Old 02-17-2005, 06:28 PM   #15
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Announcement on the local news in KC tonight!

The group that left the Royal, is organizing a Memorial Day Weekend event to "Book End" the Royal at the beginning of the season. It will be held at the Woodland's, a grayhound/horse racing facility with 70 paved acres to hold the event. Could prove to be a nice event. May have to get my poop together and try to do that one.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote