MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #31
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is right up my alley because I only do flats. It will be interesting to see how the oven version compares to a BGE version...using the same technique. I thought the foil/BGE/UDS comparative was insightful...we'll see!

The last flat I did was injected with Butcher Block and came out very moist and tender...though not much of a smoke ring...I'm hoping this technique will help duplicate that moisture without the injection.

Thanks Funk!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #32
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

well a bit of caution... the exercise is to give a similar starting point on Brisket Texture that anyone can duplicate then have a common texture to shoot for. Its like brisket's best case scenario. The zenith of texture, flavor penetration and moisture sans bbq smoking.

I liken it to how I was able to get a great chicken product skin texture by practicing i the oven over and over. then once a temp was settled just do it in the smoker.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #33
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Donnie. You seem to be using the word tenderness and texture somewhat interchangeably throughout this thread, but I don't think you believe they are the same thing. Please clarify.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #34
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Gonna give this a try next week, if I remember to and if I can remember that complicated batch of ingredients needed, lol. First thing I gotta do is push them little tabs in so I don't lose my foil.

I have heard somewhere talk about foil and its reaction to salt and meat and possible memory loss due to the onset of Alzheimer disease. I am glad I quit foiling last year and went with pink butcher paper. Big dam roll though, it oughta last a long while since I don't do 30 briskets at a time.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #35
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up Amen Brother!

People are horrified when you use paper in the Smoker!
I use it frequently and enjoy it!
No problem with fires either. Low and slow is the key.
I think the paper helps give you just the right texture without making things mushy.

Great post! Thanks.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
If I cheat... I cheat with Butcher's paper like the Market's have done for years. I mean its Paper. If its safe enough to wipe your azz with it every day, or 3 times a day then its safe enough to wrap a brisket in right?

Uh.. not the same paper though.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #36
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Donnie. You seem to be using the word tenderness and texture somewhat interchangeably throughout this thread, but I don't think you believe they are the same thing. Please clarify.

You are right. But that's not really the issue I want to bring up. I hear some people talk about dryness and then find out they were talking about the texture (do to undercooking).

With this experiment everything hits perfect balance all at once. Tender, juicy.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #37
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
well a bit of caution... the exercise is to give a similar starting point on Brisket Texture that anyone can duplicate then have a common texture to shoot for. Its like brisket's best case scenario. The zenith of texture, flavor penetration and moisture sans bbq smoking.

I liken it to how I was able to get a great chicken product skin texture by practicing i the oven over and over. then once a temp was settled just do it in the smoker.
I am guilty of trying to do good Q by using temp probes and calculated cooking times according to "recommended" time and temp schedules.
There are a couple of older ladies on our local comp circuit that don't own a temp gage or meat thermometer...they know their pits and their meats. They consistently get calls...amazing.

The one thing that I am learning (slowly but surely with the help of "old schoolers" like yourself) is that cooking good Q is more art than science.

Thanks for the lesson "Professor Funk"...

Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #38
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
I am guilty of trying to do good Q by using temp probes and calculated cooking times according to "recommended" time and temp schedules.
There are a couple of older ladies on our local comp circuit that don't own a temp gage or meat thermometer...they know their pits and their meats. They consistently get calls...amazing.

The one thing that I am learning (slowly but surely with the help of "old schoolers" like yourself) is that cooking good Q is more art than science.

Thanks for the lesson "Professor Funk"...

I think the one thing most of us are guilty of is over-thinking the process. I think it's because a lot of us learned how to Q via the internet. We wanted instant results. In the internet world, everything is instant and right at your fingertips.

For example, someone ordered a car lift off of my website at 6:00 pm last night. The guy calls me at 8:00 sharp this morning wanting a tracking number. The order has to be placed, the freight company has to be called and that just takes time. Hell, I had just walked in the door and hadn't even seen the order yet.

We need to step back, start with the basics and learn the craft instead of trying to follow a process to the tee. I know since I started paying more attention to the meat instead of the meat thermomoter, my Q has greatly improved.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #39
Steve_M9
Full Fledged Farker

Does this^^^^^^ mean my ignorance might pay off?
Steve_M9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #40
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Was telling the wifey about this and she said get your a$$ to the store and get a 5 lb flat. Guess we are gonna follow your instructions. Thanks bro!!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #41
thirdeye

Then I guess there are some of us that could learn a little of something from both lists.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #42
Norcoredneck

Gonna get my thinking cap out and reread this thread

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #43
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post

Then I guess there are some of us that could learn a little of something from both lists.
Worth a thousand words right there brother!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #44
swamprb

Default **Has Pitmaster Donnie T Lost it???**

I don't know? But this sure is frightening!
I had a strange feeling come over me as I walked out on my deck-the Eggs were calling me. I got a Cold Sweat, had Ants in my Pants, I've got 3 Corned Beef Points soaking in a water bath in the garage fridge, knowing full well I need to get on my Brisket game! I opened the lids on the Eggs and felt a presence, hard to describe, it was a feeling in the soul. Could it have been Popdaddy??

I can't get this out of my head!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_mA2Z5DisA

Give in to the FUNK!!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #45
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Gonna get my thinking cap out and reread this thread
Norco...don't think...just DO!