• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Creosote in the Drum

DDave

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was cleaning the grate on my drum today in preparation for a 5 pound butt that is going on New Year's Day and there seemed to be an awful lot of oily creosote residue on the grate. I have 8 - 1/2" holes in the lid and whenever I was test firing it and the one time I cooked on it, all of the holes were open. I only blocked them off at the end of the fatty cook to put the fire out.

Should I remove the grate at the end of the cook when I am putting the fire out? There seems to be a lot of residue on the lid as well. Do you just clean it real good before each use?

On edit: It was fairly cool and damp out the times I have been using it. Is this more of a winter time problem that may clear up when the weather warms up a bit?

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:
I was cleaning the grate on my drum today in preparation for a 5 pound butt that is going on New Year's Day and there seemed to be an awful lot of oily creosote residue on the grate. I have 8 - 1/2" holes in the lid and whenever I was test firing it and the one time I cooked on it, all of the holes were open. I only blocked them off at the end of the fatty cook to put the fire out.

Should I remove the grate at the end of the cook when I am putting the fire out? There seems to be a lot of residue on the lid as well. Do you just clean it real good before each use?

On edit: It was fairly cool and damp out the times I have been using it. Is this more of a winter time problem that may clear up when the weather warms up a bit?

Thanks.

Dave

Sounds like you had a lot of smoke and a very low heat.

Did you season the Drum?

I always use a grill brush on my grate at the end and the start of every cook.

Sounds normal to me.
I have tendancy to use too much smoke wood in the drums and have received Judges comments like "creoste or liquid smoke taste".
I use the weed burner to burn off the crusties on the grate before i cook and wire brush or use a wad of foil to clean it off.
Are you using lump?
Try cutting back on the smoke wood or bury it in the charcoal basket.

I ran into similar problems this week with a flat lid. The dome lids don't collect drippings. I hate seeing black drips in the middle of my brisket.

I don't think it is creasote. I think it is moisture that is forming due to the high humidity inside and outside the smoker.

LOL A friend of mine just recently did 8 butts in s WSM. Dont ask me how he managed that jigsaw puzzle. Any way at the end of the cook (16 hours) he took everything off and went inside. Left the lid off the WSM and minutes later I look out to his WSM and it looked like an F18 taking off full burn..... Even sounded like it as well! he turned to me and said I guess I need to clean it more often...... Beer please!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE a pellet eating stainless drum and my lid is flat .. but get alot of moister all meat and chicken is very juicey more so then the bbq and or masterbuilt smoker

I ran into similar problems this week with a flat lid. The dome lids don't collect drippings. I hate seeing black drips in the middle of my brisket.

I don't think it is creasote. I think it is moisture that is forming due to the high humidity inside and outside the smoker.

Yep, when I was using my weber lid on the UDS the moisture would run down the lid and down the side of the barrel. With the flat lids I get an occasional drop on my meat. I don't get any creosote taste though.

I think what you are seeing is a natural version of 'Liquid Smoke'... Basically smoke that has collected within moisture drops... Give her a good cleaning and you should be fine... (BTW, I find the same thing on my Lang if I'm cooking a ton of meat at one time...)

Thanks for the input, guys.

Did you season the Drum?

Yes

Are you using lump?

I have used two bags of Kingsford briquettes, about half a bag of Royal Oak briquettes and one bag of lump (Cowboy) but am going to pick up some Lazzari lump.

I think what you are seeing is a natural version of 'Liquid Smoke'... Basically smoke that has collected within moisture drops...

I think you guys might be right. I noticed that my SnP which hasn't been lit since the brisket I smoked the first week of November is getting a little moisture in it which is turning the inside coating (seasoning) a little wet and oily feeling. I know the inside of this smoker was dry when I cleaned it out after the brisket. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it in the damper weather.

Thanks again.

Dave

I think what you are seeing is a natural version of 'Liquid Smoke'... Basically smoke that has collected within moisture drops... Give her a good cleaning and you should be fine... (BTW, I find the same thing on my Lang if I'm cooking a ton of meat at one time...)

Great looking advar !!!!!!:icon_wink:shock::eusa_clap:biggrin:

This is what the outside of my drum looked like after loading it to the gills with 2 racks of chicken thighs...about 5 dozen. There was so much moisture that the black food build up on the dome dripped down all over the drum. None got on the food though...love the dome lids! :p

Before...just fired up...

IMG_4013.jpg

After...

IMG_4025.jpg

Please pardon the scorched bottom...that was Swamprb's fault! :twisted: He doesn't seem very upset that he just trashed my drum though...does he?

IMG_4014.jpg

JD, same drippings on my drums when cold or real humid outside. Comet Spray Gel works better than anything I have tried to clean it off. My drums are painted with hi-temp engine paint and the Comet doesn't seem to be a problem at all.
Doesn't look like swanprb is too concerned either way. LOL

Back