MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Default Catering an outdoor wedding and it might rain

We are catering an outdoor wedding on Saturday and the weatherman says it might rain. Ouch! The wedding is on a ranch and the backup plan is to have the ceremony and the dinner both in the carriage house. The carriage house is about 30 yards from the kitchen. I think I am in panic mode trying to think of all of the Plan B ideas I need to come up with if it does rain. Any sage words of advice from my fellow catering brethren out there?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
backporchbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I am not big into catering YET. I would guess you would have to have two work stations, one for outside and one for inside. Couldn't you load up all the food in your vehicle and drive it over if it rains? Might be possible, just thought I would throw it out there.

Good luck and pray for no rain.

1 Meadow Creek TS120 with chicken cooker
1 Weber Kettle
backporchbbq.org
backporchbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

Do as much as you can ahead of time. Relax and don't let them see you panic. I'm sure everyone will freak out if it rains but keep cool and roll with the punches. Be extra organized.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Prepare for rain, make this plan A. If it does not rain plan B is easier to implement.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with BBS.
Rent a canopy if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Prepare for rain, make this plan A. If it does not rain plan B is easier to implement.

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
BBQ Grail

Will there be banana bread?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Plan A: Pig Umbrella Mod

Plan B: Run like hell to the carriage house!
Sponsors: Oakridge BBQ, Frontier Charcoal
NEBS MAFIA
Blazin' Buttz BBQ www.blazinbuttzbbq.com

Last edited by Frank Sacco; 04-25-2010 at 01:51 PM..
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
That sounds like a great plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybonesmoke1 View Post
Do as much as you can ahead of time. Relax and don't let them see you panic. I'm sure everyone will freak out if it rains but keep cool and roll with the punches. Be extra organized.
Okay, I will take some deep breaths and keep smiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backporchbbq View Post
I am not big into catering YET. I would guess you would have to have two work stations, one for outside and one for inside. Couldn't you load up all the food in your vehicle and drive it over if it rains? Might be possible, just thought I would throw it out there.

Good luck and pray for no rain.
No, I am sure they would not let us drive it over, but I do have a big wagon! Two work stations... hmmmmmm.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotleyQue View Post
I agree with BBS.
Rent a canopy if need be.
He does come up with those good ideas, eh? We are lucky that we have a large fold out awning on both sides of our BBQ trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
Will there be banana bread?
Well I do know the groom's cake is a red velvet cake shaped like a John Deere tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Sacco View Post
Plan A: Pig Umbrella Mod

Plan B: Run like hell to the carriage house!
Pig umbrella... Brilliant! Where can I buy one of those?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Plan A - I am now considering renting an extra cambro from the local rental place. If we have to carry the food over we need to keep more of it warm on the trip over. Better to have an extra than have cold food.

Plan B - The food will be served from buffet tables on the patio right outside the kitchen door.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:14 AM   #11
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Many Rental places will allow you to hold items for you but only charge you a small fee if you give them reasonable notice that you won't need them. Check and see if yours will give you such a deal, then you can have the equipment you need guaranteed to be available but save some money if the weather clears and you don't need it.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Treat the kitchen like it's a mile away. Set up the serving area, finish everything in the kitchen, Cambro it, then go set it out. We are catering 200/400 Friday night and it's gonna be a rain snow mix with no prep kitchen at the 400. We will show with everything ready to eat and in hot or cold storage. You can never have too many cambro's and coolers.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
Treat the kitchen like it's a mile away. Set up the serving area, finish everything in the kitchen, Cambro it, then go set it out. We are catering 200/400 Friday night and it's gonna be a rain snow mix with no prep kitchen at the 400. We will show with everything ready to eat and in hot or cold storage. You can never have too many cambro's and coolers.

Some of the best advice I've seen... Plan A for me is always the worst case... Every thing else is a modifcation to it...

Quote:
How true!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

One of the secrets to successful catering is being able to prepare for the unexpected, because you will get it every single time. You really should have a canopy.

I agree with Lazybones, don't let them see you sweat!

I actually look forward to the unexpected, makes things exciting.... plus I am a bit of a egotist and I love to overcome difficulty.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Many Rental places will allow you to hold items for you but only charge you a small fee if you give them reasonable notice that you won't need them. Check and see if yours will give you such a deal, then you can have the equipment you need guaranteed to be available but save some money if the weather clears and you don't need it.
I might give them a call and ask. Thanks!

Quote:
Good advice, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
[/COLOR]
Some of the best advice I've seen... Plan A for me is always the worst case... Every thing else is a modifcation to it...
How true!
I am so thankful we don't have to deal with snow. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
One of the secrets to successful catering is being able to prepare for the unexpected, because you will get it every single time. You really should have a canopy.

I agree with Lazybones, don't let them see you sweat!

I actually look forward to the unexpected, makes things exciting.... plus I am a bit of a egotist and I love to overcome difficulty.
We have awnings to work under, but then we do usually have a canopy in the back of the trailer, just in case.

Addendum to Plan A = NO SWEATING